Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-14-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
Mark Lammert

Question "Glue" Curtain Rod to Tile Wall

Hi everyone,

I have one of those shower curtain rods that has the end caps that you screw into the wall and then hang the rod from the end caps...

I really really really don't want to drill eight holes (four for each end cap) into my brand new tile shower walls...

I though "gluing" the end caps onto the walls might be a better way...

Can anyone recommend a good type of "glue" to use for this application... I was thinking maybe liquid nail or something similar that is waterproof...

Any comments and/or suggestions are appreciated as always...

PS: I am almost done with my bathroom remodel... Can't wait to post picts...

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Lammert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
LGB
Tile Contractor -- Pennsylvania

They do make spring loaded bars for shower curtains. I'd go that route before trying to glue it on...
Old 09-14-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
ckl111
Home Builder

I have used silicone caulking to do this before.

clarification : the silicone caulking was used to prevent spring loaded rod from constantly sliding down. It wasn't used to glue an end cap that was meant to be screwed in.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
Bonus

Use the spring loaded rod, you'll regret using construction adhesive on this.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
Mark Lammert

Yeah, I have used the spring loaded ones in the past and I have never really seemed to have much luck with them... As CKL111 said, they slide down...

Since I already have the new "bracketed" shower rod, I think I will still wait and see if anyone gives some advice on glue types...

Thanks for the quick replies!!!

Mark
Mark Lammert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

An epoxy might work well. You could do an experiment on a scrape of tile. I used Titebond's Hi-Purformer glue gun to attach some tile to tile, but it was granite and somewhat porous. Not sure how it would work on a ceramic tile. Problem there, is that you'd have to buy the gun, which is not cheap. I think just a good coat of silicon caulk and then tape it until it cures would work. You'd want to ensure it didn't droop before it cured. Some of those are really sticky. It might look weird if you don't do something with the screw holes, unless they are behind an escutcheon cover plate.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
jdm

I would try a two-part epoxy which you can find at any hardware store. Check the packages to find one suitable for metal and ceramics. You squirt out equal amounts from each tube onto a disposable surface (a margarine container lid works well) and mix the two parts together. Then apply to the bracket and tape the bracket in place. Most of the epoxies that you will find will cure in somewhere between 5 and 30 minutes.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
ckl111
Home Builder

I'm sure two part epoxy will work but if the point of not drilling eight holes in the tile is not damaging them, epoxy or any extra strong glue will get you no further ahead. If you ever remove the curtain rod, you will probably rip the entire tile off or break it. You may as well drill the holes.

I used the spring loaded bar with a dab of caulking to keep it from sliding. Once the caulking dries, the bar is very secure. Remember this is supposed to be a curtain rod, not a chin-up bar. If the bar needs to be removed, the caulking can be removed with a razor blade.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
sandbagger

put the spring loaded bar in the location you want and mark the bottom of each end. Remove the bar and put a small bead of clear sillycone about 1/2" long at the mark (horizontal). Make sure it's fully cured, then put the bar back up using the bead of caulk as a stop. that should keep it from sliding unless you're putting some big-momma curtain on that baby!

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com