Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-13-2007, 12:19 PM   #1
You-niquePerspective

Tile over Polyurethane

Hi. I am a first time everything. I built a kitchen island table (it beautiful btw) and stained the countertop. But I want to cover the top due to the mistake I made driving the nails through the top. I thought the putty would cover the nail holes but it didn't work with the stain. Can I tile over the wood and polyurethane? Will the tile adhesive work? I applied 3 coats of poly.
You-niquePerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Welcome to the forum, You. How about giving us a first name to call you?

I don't think thinset will bond to polyurethane, but there are ways to get around that. The first thing the pros will want to know is if your counter top is strong/stiff enough for tile. Tell us more about its construction.

Once we're certain its strong enough, you could probably attach a 1/4" layer of CBU, properly thinset and screwed. Or, you could attach a 1/2" of plywood and put Ditra over that. There are likely even better ways that the ones I just mentioned.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
You-niquePerspective

Thanks Dan!

My name is Tina. The countertop is 1 x 24 x 48 stain grade wood (i think pine). Looks as if 1 x 8 x 48 pieces were put together with something like dowels and glue. I purchased it that way. What is a CBU (sp?) and is thinset the tile adhesive? I am actually going to do more of a mosaic rather than all square tiles (if that makes a difference). Thanks again. Tina
Old 08-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Tina,

CBU stands for Cementitious Backer Unit. It's also called cement board or backer board. Popular brands are Durock, Hardiebacker, and Wonderboard.

Thinset as used here refers to a portland cement based adhesive powder that needs to be mixed with water or some latex additive. It never comes pre-mixed.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
You-niquePerspective

Poly over tile

Can I do a couple of coats of Polyurethane over the finished tile (mosaic)? Or does the tile sealer have the same purpose and look?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

It sounds like the top of the counter now is planks. You can't tile to them, you need some plywood down first, then a decoupling layer. That layer could be cbu or a membrane like Ditra, EasyMat, one of the Nobel products, or possibly others. Since the ply would need to be screwed to the planks and it would become the new base for the tile, it doesn't matter that the planks are coated with polyurethane.

You'd be much better off finding a mosaic that has the finish you want. Anything you put on top of it will wear off. One of the big reasons to go with tile is it is less maintenance and will look good for a long time. If you want the grout to be shinier, you should consider an epoxy grout.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
You-niquePerspective

Plywood before CBU

THanks Jim. Would the 1/4" plywood be thick enough. Somewhere I read that I would need to drive screws every 4" to 6" on the CBU. Correct? ANd can I use 6x1 drywall screws? Can I use fewer screws when attaching the plywood? Referring back to your earlier response, would the glossy sealer /finish not really have any positive effect on the finished tiled top? Thanks again for your help! Tina
Old 08-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

Nope, you really need at least 1/2". If that's going to make things too thick, then maybe you should think about removing the planks, and then build it back up with some 3/4" sheets (two would be good).

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com