Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
goddi

Hopscotch pattern: non-standard sizes?

When we did our kitchen in the hopscotch pattern, we used 8" and 4" tile. I like the look but now we are doing our bathrooms and want to use the hopscotch pattern but the tile are 12.9" and 8.25". I understand that the grout lines will not line up as they would with the 8" & 4" tiles. I did a test with some leftover tiles and I see that the pattern sort of 'walks' to one side. But it looks OK and a nice random appearance. And I understand about not being able to snap a caulk line to help the installation (a contractor will be doing it).
I would like to know if I will be getting into any trouble or if there are things to look for if we use the 12.9" and 8.25" tile comb in hopscotch. They do have 16.5" tile to use with the 8.25" tile to be more 'standard' but I am not sure the larger sized tiles will work well in the smaller sized bathrooms. The area will be in 4 different bathrooms, with a total floor space of about 258 sq. ft.
Does anyone have any images of this non-standard sized layout in hopscotch?
Thanks... Gary
goddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

The hardest part about doing it with tile that size is trying to figure out if you are going to end up with slivers somewhere! Works fine.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yeah, you can use any two size tiles although the pattern may not repeat. If the pattern repeats itself then you can pop lines to help keep things in line. With small areas, it's best to just free hand it. it'll look fine. If there are small pieces, it will only be for a short span before it changes. You will probably have a few small ones, kinda hard to eliminate it all together with that pattern.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:03 PM   #4
goddi

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I see what you mean about the 'slivers' that you can get. In another Forum, a guy said "The grout pattern would have driven me crazy." I just don't see that it would bother me but I have not actually seen this non-standard way of doing the Hopscotch. Have you seen any picture of this non-standard pattern, or something similar to it, that you can direct me to??? Nobody really seems to like it but me... Just hope I am not missing anything... Thanks...Gary
P.S. And how do I figure out the number (or sq. ft.) of each sized tile that I need?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Mike2

Gary, your large tiles will comprise 71% of the total sq. ft. The remaining 29% of the total area will be covered by the smaller ones.

The calculation goes something like this: First of all, in your hopscotch pattern there is a one-for-one relationship between the number of tiles of each size. That is, for every large (12.9") tile you will also have a small one (8.25"). Your large tiles are 1.16 sq. ft. each and the smaller ones, .47 sq. ft. each for a combined total area of 1.63 sq. ft. The large tile (at 1.16 sq. ft.) is 71% of the total (1.63 sq. ft.).

Got it?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:45 PM   #6
jerseyreef

after doing my kitchen using a hopscotch pattern using 18.25x18.25 and a 12x12 tile and using a 1/4" gout width, I had a lot of hesitation as well. Given this was my first tile job I had reason to be nervous!

In the end, I couldn't be happier with the results. I had no walk (although the field was small) and the install couldn't have been easier. I found the center point in the room, which wasn't easy given the room was "S" shaped! Layed a 18x18 tile and started the pattern.

The only downside to this pattern, if there is one, every single edge in the room will require cutting, so if you don't like to cut tile, this pattern isn't for you.

I found the advice from all the pro's on this board very helpful to build the best tile floor. All my friends thought I was nuts building the floor the way I did but, 18x18 tile is very heavy and I built it for future owners who may want to put in a heavier stone as well. This floor will last longer than me and this house!

Mike - JerseyReef
jerseyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
goddi

Thanks all very much for your advise. I feel more confident in using the Hopscotch in non-standard sizes. I'll be contemplating what to do. But my wife now is leaning a bit toward a couple more standard layouts. It changes as we speak....
Gary
Old 08-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #8
George K

Mike,

Quote:
I had no walk (although the field was small)
How small was your field?
Did you use any layout lines at all?
Did you use 1/4" tile spacers?

George
George K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
jadnashua

The only way to have a hopscotch pattern not walk is if the two tile are in a very exact size relationship and the installer is careful. The smaller tile needs to be half the size of the larger tile less the thickness of the specified grout line. So, say you were using 12" larger tile, and 1/4" grout line, then the smaller one needs to be 5.75". Any other size or any other grout line and the pattern will walk or you have to use differnt size grout lines around the smaller tile to compensate.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #10
George K

goddi,

I think you will find that the smaller tile in Jadnashua's example should be
5 7/8" and not 5 3/4"

Any two size tiles may be used, but for the Hopscotch pattern not to walk, the formula would be:

(Size of Large Tile minus Grout Width) divided by 2 = Size of Small Tile.

Example for a 12" large tile, the smaller tile would have to be 5 7/8".

(12"-0.25") / 2 = 5.875"

Only a zero width grout line will prevent a walk with "non standard" tile sizes. If the pattern did not walk, maybe it could lend itself to some chalk lines and tile spacers. I get the impression that a lot of folks just accept the walk and "wing it" so to speak.

George

Last edited by George K; 08-07-2007 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Math error
George K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:54 AM   #11
jerseyreef

George - Since I had a small field space, the only lines I snapped was to pinpoint the center. However, since my kitchen is "S" shaped, this presented a problem.

In the attached photo the 18x18 tile in the center right (only two sides have tile) was the center of this portion of the kitchen.

I found that from starting in the center and being in a "S" shaped kitchen, using a Hopscotch, I bascially had to wrap the pattern around the center tile and work my way around the room. This was my first tile job, ever. The pattern never walked on me and I found that it could repeat given enough space in the field (I think it was like 80 1/4"), but given the way I laid out the tile and the size of the field, this never occured.

Mike - JerseyReef
jerseyreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

There might be some confusion on what we mean by "walk". That means that the pattern doesn't repeat itself in line with the walls or lines popped. It shifts over slightly. Nothing wrong with that, any two tile sizes can be used but the shift will take place if the small tile isn't divisible by the big tile. The small tile doesn't have to be the exact half size of the big tile to get a repeat. A 1,2,3,4 and 6 inch will work with a 12 inch tile. It's just the smaller the little tile is, the further away the repeat will be and sometimes not worth poping lines with anyway. Im thinking a 9 inch will work too with a 12 and repeat, I'll havta think about that one.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #13
jadnashua

Yup...if the tile are sized just right (and you are consistent with the grout lines), you could lay a straightedge on the floor and it should align on alternating tile as a straight line. Any other ratio, you'll cross more tile before the straightedge will line up with anything.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com