Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Colfax Sue

What size grout line to use?

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this but I'm impressed by all the great advise out there. I am about two weeks away from doing my first tile job in my small bathroom. I've purchased 12x12 for the walls of my shower and 16x16 for the bathroom floor tiles. My shower pan tiles are those stone looking tiles on the mesh background so they aren't a problem.

My questions are:

1. What size grout line would you use with the 12x12 wall tiles?

2. What size grout line would you use with the 16x16 floor tiles?

3. Any opinions on whether I should go diagonal or not?? Would it be harder to go diagonal?

I know this is a preference thing and I was figuring 1/4", however, I'm thinking 1/4" looks kind of wide?? I need opinions.

Thanks for the input.
Colfax Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
onereelbigfishy

The grout lines are a matter of personal taste as far as the aesthetics go. As long as you know that if you get really small you will have to switch to an unsanded grout. But I dont think your going to go that small (1/8th)

The layout is personal taste too. Really just depends on what you think will look the best. And actually you can combine the two. Maybe do a square layout on the bottom. Say 4 courses. Then do a feature strip of your stone pebbles a few inches wide. Above that you could switch to a diagonal layout. I did two showers like that a while back and they looked really good. (They were 12x12 tiles too)

Just a suggestion.

As far as the floor goes I would personally go with 1/4".
Old 08-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
Colfax Sue

Thanks for your advise.

I like the idea of mixing it up in the shower. I think I may do that. I had already planned on putting a pebble chair rail in the middle somewhere. I already bought the grout so I guess I better go read my bag to see if it's sanded. I'm sure it is.

Thanks again!

Sue
Old 08-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #4
onereelbigfishy

Chair rail in the shower? Most people put benches in their showers. But to each their own! Just kidding!

Post pictures when your done. I really like the look of those pebbles. I wanna see how yours turns out!

Watch out for the fishing smiley in your signature. Apparently Muskymike has that one trademarked. I already got a cease and desist order from him for using it in mine!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
sandbagger

a key factor you must consider in choosing a grout line is the dimensional consistency of your tile. Thinner lines require tiles that are consistent in size - thinner lines have less room for error. Pull samples from every box and measure carefully. Also check for square.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
Colfax Sue

I'll send pictures

onereelbigfishy, I'll send pictures when I'm finished. Of course I may have hung myself in the middle of that small shower by then. lol Not only am I planning a pebble border (chair rail??) through the middle but I have an octagon window to tile around as well. This will be a beginners nightmare. Wish me luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 05:09 PM   #7
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

You might want to think about doing a "running bond" pattern....either on the floor or walls...or both. Very popular and looks great. Basically, it's a "staggered pattern" much like a typical brick pattern. Just a thought.

Avanti Tile & Stone

“Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com