Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-14-2003, 07:47 AM   #1
gdbutch

TM-75 vs. MK-660?

The better half has a number of projects for me coming up in the next 12 months that involve laying tile, both wall and floor. I've decided to buy a wet saw that will handle tile up to 12"x12" to help do the work. I've been looking at the Felker TM-75 (mainly because I read John Bridge's review of it) and the MK-660. They seem to spec out about the same but the TM-75 is about $200 cheaper on the internet sites. Anyone care to comment on why MK Diamond can charge $200 more, i.e. is there something about the features of the TM-75 and MK-660 that I'm missing when I read the sales material? I've never seen either in the "flesh" so I'm relying on words and pictures only at this point.

Any helpful thoughts and information would be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:24 AM   #2
dswallow

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
I bought a Felker TM-75 from www.contractorsdirect.com to cut 12" granite tiles for my kitchen floor, figuring I'd have use for it again when I felt like redoing the bathrooms. There were 3 reasons I picked it:

1) Too many of the pros here recommend it for it not to have some advantage over the competition -- durability over time and abuse for one thing. They also mention it can hold its resale value pretty well if you just want to use it for one project and resell it. (AKA, Felkers are desired by many, so that's another good sign)

2) A rep from Felker is here regularly and it's real nice to see such a helpful manufacturers rep be so accessible and answer questions about their product without a lot of unsubstantiated hype. He offers well reasoned responses giving supporting info, and he's not afraid to give credit to his competition when it's due. To me, that translates out to a solid product that can stand on its own merits.

3) The dang thing is QUIET. Really really quiet.

After having gotten it, I am impressed with it... it ships with everything including all tools needed to assemble it, not that assembling required much effort or that many tools; it just had a couple parts to click together and bolt in place.

My only complaint is that they could have provided one more piece of rubber attached to one specific spot on the motor assembly and that would've eliminated about 90% of the spray that has colored my garage wall granite-slurry-gray. I solved it temporarily with a leftover piece of Hardibacker strategically positioned on the wall, though should've used a slightly bigger piece I guess. (Hardibacker is already granite-slurry-gray.)
Old 02-14-2003, 10:36 AM   #3
Handyman

Doug, funny how I just finished telling AndyL about the splash mess, only my grey slurry is on some draped poly. I cut 24 inch flagstone, 12X12 slate and found the 45 degree bevel fence very useful. Better than any of the rentals I've used in the past.

By the way I bought mine on line at http://www.toolfetch.com for $284.97 plus $9.32 shipping from NJ to VA. That was the lowest price I could find. They list it as a feature sales special so do not know how long that lasts. No affiliation.

Regards,

Robert
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:51 AM   #4
dswallow

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
That's a great price. The site looks familiar but I'm not sure if I'd been there when looking for a place to buy my TM-75, or after. I think several folks here had suggested www.contractortools.com too, which also was slightly cheaper than where I bought it, but I think my main reason for having picked where I bought mine was being able to tell where the saw shipped from before I ordered, knowing it was gonna get here quickly, and having all the accessories I also wanted to buy, like trowels, knee pads, spacers, sponges, et. al.

I'm in NJ so I also would've factored in paying sales tax to that price; still it would've been cheaper, especially shipping.

What I hadn't realized at the time though is my dad had bought one too (don't know if it's a Felker), so I really didn't need to buy one at all; could've borrowed his -- well, when my mom told me that I'd thought to myself "I bet he got it at Home Depot, so I bet it's an MK, and I don't really want one of those," so I wasn't too bothered finding that out).

While it wouldn't necessarily be cheaper for many, I do wish Felker's were at Home Depot. I think they'd sell a lot that way. People who don't do a lot of research on their own just buy what's handy (or worse, what a HD employee suggests), and side by side with an MK I think the Felker is also simply a prettier product with cleaner lines. (meaning more sales, too, for not necessarily the best of reasons).

In fact, if I could control the price it sold for at HD, I think I'd put it there at $10-$20 MORE than the "equivalent" MK's and see how well they did.

Felker needs to make it clearer that you get several accessories, too. I bought a few a-la-carte I didn't need to have bought.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:17 PM   #5
Dave Ashton
Engineer/Tile Contractor

I have an MK 660 that I use primarily for smaller tile. If you are going to be cutting mainly larger format tile I would not recommend it. I have no experience with the TM-75 but it seems like a great little unit from the reviews here. Why not the MK660? Mine is about 4 or 5 years old, maybe older, anyway, the electric brake on the motor went out after about the first 6 months. The motor head sits very close to the tray so visibility is not that great, especially when cutting larger tile. I have had trouble keeping the tray in aligment with the blade and adjustment is not that easy. (And no, I don't just throw the thing in the back of my truck, although I could. That is one of the nice things about it, it is light.) I am not sold on MK's system of mounting the tray, or cart whichever you want to call it. I also have the MK101-Pro with the same system. One side of the rail system in guarded, but it still gets junk up in there and it is a bear to clean which makes the travel of the cart less than smooth. I use a lot of teflon spray on it. Need anymore? Good points? Lightweight and portable. I am still on my first switch. I have made enough money using it to pay for a few of them. Other than that when it craps out I will probably get a TM-75. Hows that for a decision maker?

Dave
Dave Ashton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:54 PM   #6
tada

Can this saw be used to cut 4x4 tumbled marble and 12x12 slate?

Tom
tada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:27 PM   #7
KurtG

I bought the cheapo $89-99 workforce? (metal, 3/4 horse) saw at HD and it was more than adequate for granite tile and backsplash work. It cut the granite like butter & no wet mess (except it's hard to empty the water without making one). I didn't have any fancy diagonals to cut. The fence was easy to adjust and stayed aligned. We will be putting the finishing touches on the kitchen this weekend.
KurtG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:00 PM   #8
ninemile
Tile Saw Goddess

I agreed with what Doug said on the merits of the little Felker TM-75 and can add this;

1) It's darn accurate! I cut a ton of porcelain (rip down 12x12's) to make triangles, squares, rectangles etc and can take a machinists square and be right on. The cart travel assembly stays square over time once you set the nylock nuts to permit travel without binding.

2) It's very portable, light, quick to clean up. And, after sawing all day I don't have a headache.

3) Get a super premium blade to match the tile you're cutting. Don't get a "do-all" blade. I use the TM-5 for porcelain and the TM-6 for granite.

4) I like the service and support with the Felker. I can get parts from a number of internet places or my local tile supply shops. I figure I should've worn out the TM-75 track and water pump by now but it just keeps going and going.

Now, I'm eyeing a Tilemaster
ninemile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 06:24 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Butch.

I can't add much. Andy L., one or our esteemed members , is products manager for Felker/Target saws. He'll find this thread and add his comments.

The $285 price is a promotion. We here are considering becoming a Felker dealership, and there is no way we could sell the TM-75 at that price and make a profit. But even at $300 plus shipping I think it's a good buy. It's a simple machine with a good motor and an excellent cart to rail hook-up. It cuts straight, and it doesn't kill this old man to lift it onto the truck. I can't comment on the MKs. I've never owned one. I've been using Felker/Target for 30 years.

I also own a plastic plasplug I got at Home Depot.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 07:16 PM   #10
gdbutch

Thanks, John and all the others who have offered the advice and insights. It's been a while (30+ years) since I've done any tile work and your site, John, is a peach. So much has changed in available materials, tools, and techniques in 30 years that your site really helps. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by and someday I may be able to do more than ask questions. In the meantime, while I've got the computer and modem fired up it's time to order a saw.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:45 PM   #11
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Well I don't want to take anything away from the Felker, especially since I may buy one soon, but my MK 370 has the ability to rip 12" tiles and diagonal cut 10" tiles ( although I have never used a 10" tile) as well.

It is a bit noisy but it has served me well. For 219.00 on ebay you can buy this saw. Over the past 5 years my MK370 hasn't given me a bit of trouble. I've changed blades and "squared" the table once or twice but it has been mechanically sound.

IMHO, $300 is a ridiculous price for any tile saw this size. Andy has already heard that from the crew here.

The MK660 and the TM75 have the same horespower, same cutting specs but the tray and framework on the MK looks beefer, hence the add'l cost ( ???). They are also both direct drive. The TM75 will be lighter which is a plus at the end of the day.

In short I would go with the TM75 when comparing the two.

Good luck

Jason
Jason_Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 07:46 PM   #12
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

BTW, what part of Austin ??? I'm in Round Rock if you get in a bind

Jason
Old 02-14-2003, 10:34 PM   #13
gdbutch

Jason,
Thanks for the info and offer. I live over on the southwest side of town in Lost Creek, a long haul from RR.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:08 AM   #14
Ed1955

I just put in an order for a TM-75 from the toolfetch.com website. It has the following short blurb :
"The TM-75 Includes the following: 8 in. premium diamond blade, 4 cutting guides, water pump and wrenches."

Is a dual 45-degree angle guide one of the "4 cutting guides" indicated... ?

I agree with dswallow, maybe Felker (or the retailers) can make it clearer this ships with several accessories... and which ones...
It's time to cut back on cutback....
Ed1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:25 AM   #15
andyl
Products Manager, Felker/Target Tile Saws

Ed

Yes it does include dual 45. Also includes protractor, miter, and rip guide. You should be able to get this info at our website, www.felkersaws.com. Unfortunately we cant control what other sites choose to put on their websites, but I think you'll be happy with the saw and the guides that come with it.
andyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com