Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #1
krissie

drilling tile

i need to drill a hole in the tile so i can hang the glass. what kind of a drill bit do i use. ace hardware gave me on they said it would work but it didnt even scratch the tile.
krissie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
Mike2

Sounds to me like you are working with porcelain tiles. If so you'll need a good diamond drill bit. Many different brands at different price points are available. eBay is a good source I'm told. Here is just one of many on-line retailers selling them. http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Til...4Pa38Ta38MaNb0

You didn't mention what size you need but there are some 1/4" diamond bits on that website for about $15.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Lowes sells some Hitachi diamond coring bits. The smaller sizes aren't too expensive, and since you won't be paying shipping, might be cheaper than on-line. they're a little tricky to get started exactly where you want them since they don't have a point (think pipe with diamonds on the end). You need to hold the drill at an angle, break through the tile's surface, then rotate the drill so it is perpendicular to the tile to finish the hole. Not bad when you get the hang of it, but you might want someone else with a spray bottle to keep the bit wet. You can do it yourself, but it takes a bit more skill. Once it is started, it won't walk, and you can spray it or hold a damp sponge against it to finish the hole.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
Raimondi Joel

Pro Bit

Of course I will be a little bias in regards to this problem, but the "Pro Bit" offered by Raimondi Tools USA has been tested and retested as the cleanest and fastest bit on the market. This has to do with the specific electroplating process used when adhering the diamond to the bit. Just use water, let the bit do the work, and your looking at about 30sec to drill through the toughest porcelain or even granite. Good luck and happy drilling!
Raimondi Joel is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase