Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 06-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
claycarson
Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance

Silicone grout ?????

We are bidding a comercial job with spec for 12" x 24" and the architect has specified silicone rubber grout complying with ANSI 118.6.

We have never heard of it.

What is it used for, can it be a whole 1000 sq. ft floor?

What problems do we watch out for

My bid is due immediately, as always. ANY HELP WOULD BE TRULY APPRECIATED!!!

www.tileboston.com
claycarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2007, 03:21 AM   #2
stullis
Flooring Installer

I have no idea what the "siliicone rubber grout" thing comes from, most architects just cut and paste specs, but maybe they are talking about grout with a latex admix instead of water http://www.bostik-us.com/TDS/TDSFiles/425_Admixture.pdf

or possibly a "grout" that is being used for Congoleum Duraceramic and/or Mannington Adura luxury vinyl floors.

Most on here would say that it is "premixed " junk. They would be wrong.

Starquartz grout may be another product in that category.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:04 AM   #3
nullrout

When when doing a google search on ANSI 118.6 this is what I found at: http://www.thetiledoctor.com/installations/grouts.cfm

"CAULKING-TYPE OF GROUT
There is a very popular type of grout in this class that includes the caulking type of grout that is available in tubes squeezed by hand or designed for use in a caulking gun. These grouts can be very close to the color of Portland cement grout in the tiled installation. They are used to caulk abutting surfaces like the joint between a tile wall and tub, a kitchen sink and counter tile, or the 90-degree corner joints where tile meets tile. These types of grouts are described under ANSI A 118.6 H5 and H6 1985."

I'm guessing the architect wanted the floor caulked with a matching sanded caulk--not the entire floor grouted with caulk...I'd ask for clarification to ensure you understand the arch's intention.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Starquartz is a Urethane, not a Silicone.

Silicone Grout is used in the Pool & Spa Industry.........Ive only seen it in Tube form........This would be time consuming and you might want to make sure your joints are half filled with thinset because they dont give the stuff away ...and....like all silicones, too much will shrink and you'll be refilling the joint & the second time would be worse than the first.

I cant see it being practical for anything much over an 1/8" joint.....(its used on 2x2 mosaics alot)
Painters tape, Mineral spirits, Lots of rags....Patience of a saint!!! Best I can tell you Clay.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
Starlch34

caulks

Polyseamseal offers a silicone caulk (as well as non-silicone) in a couple of colors. Mapei also has sanded & unsanded caulks (it's their Ker 8000 & Ker 2000 series) but they are not silicone based.
Good luck!
Starlch34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #6
jd77
Tile and Stone Setter

Did you bid the job yet Clay?

It would be interesting to know what the architect intended for his spec.

We used to do silicone grout all the time on bath walls and fiberglass pools & spas. Did tons of it. It won't shrink at all and is relatively easy to clean up. Having said that - I can't see it being a good choice for grout on commercial flooring.

If silicone rubber is indeed the spec for the grout - there are a couple of ways it can be installed ( 1/8" maximum joint width).

1) caulk joints using air or battery powered caulking gun using care to make full contact with the sides of the joint leaving them full, striking the joint with the tip of the tube. Apply soapy water (approx 4 to 1 water to dish soap). Further strike joints (with finger or thumb) as needed for consistency disposing of excess frequently. Remove any remaining residue with wet cheesecloth. Smooth any remaining marks in joint with finger. Clean after 24 hours.

It's faster than it sounds.

2) dump silicone onto floor. Smear into joints using a regular float. I like a wall float as it smears cleanly. Clean using soapy water and reticulated foam sponges ( your local foam/ plastics supplier can usually cut these for you). Dispose of sponges as they fill with silicone. Smooth joints with fingers/ thumbs. Clean after 24 hours.

This process should take a little longer than using an epoxy grout so charge accordingly.

The only other thing to add is - better you than me

Alexis de Tocqueville
jd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:05 AM   #7
HS345
Tile Contractor

Hey there Clay,
I had a former employer that used to sell "silicone grout" for tiled shower installs. It was simply silicone from a tube forced into a grout joint, and tooled using denatured alcohol and your finger. I hated using it. Limited color availibility, messy, smelly, shiny, joints only tool so so.
I then found this company, http://www.colorriteinc.com/colorsil.htm and this, pre tooling mist which helped a little.
The other guys are right about nothing bigger than 1/8" grout joint. Also, I have never used it on a floor, not sure it would be the best thing.
I also found that if you cut an empty silicone tube into 1/2" pieces, and sort of smash the rings down, it makes a great tooling device. I just throw em away as I go. I also keep plenty of paper towels and surgical gloves on hand.

Good luck, has this guy ever heard of epoxy grout?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
Mountain Tile
Tile Contractor -- Northeastern PA.

Jeez it sounds like a nightmare, why don"t they just use epoxy grout.
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
claycarson
Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance

I did speak to the architect who's name was on the plans. He was unaware of the silicone grout issue. He also was not sure of the exact type of cement specified in the plans. Sounded like it was a 'cut and paste' job on the plans.

We are assuming that the silicone was for movement joints and corners and wrote the bid up that way. Our bid is specificaly written up to include 'portland cement based grout'. So if we are wrong and we hasta use silly-cone in every joint, we reprice it.

And ya, we submitted it. It was due that day, so that's our workaround.

If in fact we need to use some funky grout on the whole floor, we'll practice with some first and then readjust our numbers with some logical basis.

Thanks for the help!

www.tileboston.com
claycarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com