Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-25-2007, 02:27 PM   #1
statjunk

Epoxy Float Vs Regular Float

Hey Guys,

What is the difference?

Are the pro versions with the blue rubber lower usually an expoxy float?

Thanks

Tom
statjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
prashster

epoxy floats are 'gum' rubber. Whatever that means, it's smoother, harder, heavier, and nonporous. The 'regular' floats are softer, lighter, and porous.

IMHO the epoxy floats are not as flexible for conforming to tiles w a non-flat surface. But, they don't stick to grout and squeegie flat tiles really well. If you wipe the edge frequently, in fact, you'll find cleanup is minimal w the efloat.

I highly recommend an e float and an e margin float for edgework.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Star
Pete

Hi Tom!

..not sure I understand exactly what you mean but, Yes, you absolutely need the appropriate trowel if you use epoxy!

First, don't panic, epoxy grout is not all that hard to use. That said, don't cut corners, buy the right trowel, buy a few white scotch-brite pads and get a few cellulose sponges. I say a "few" because you might waste one or two before you get the hang of it all (it's easier to bring them back to the store later than to run out)

The trowel is made out of hard rubber (neoprene probably) that is design to wipe closer to the surface than a normal grout trowel. It's also a lot easier to clean. I wipe it off first with a rag then rinse it with water (I also use a piece of white scotch-brite when the trowel gets gunked up too much.

- pete
Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com