Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #1
Monicakm

Tumbled Floors vs Honed Travertine Floors

We're considering antiqued and tumbled travertine for the bathroom floors and tub surround vs a honed travertine. I'm starting to wonder if that's such a good idea. Guess it would be good for slippage but might it be too hard to clean things like makeup, toothpaste, etc? I'm not talking just about the voids. The character of the stone seems like it would "grab" everything. Maybe honed would be better in the bathroom??
Thanks,
Monica
Monicakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Monica,

I think you're correct in your thinking. Stone showers look awesome, both tumbled and honed are great choices.

BUT ... (Now don't let me completely discourage you!) There are hard water, soap scum, and cleaner issues to deal with. Aquamix and Miracle make some nice stone cleaners that you should look into. I am tackling a stone shower cleanup job and the advice I got from this forum and sales reps is to 1) squeegee the shower after every use, 2) have a water softener, and 3) plan a weekly cleaning regiment or 4) hire me to do a once a year thorough stone cleaning.

Honed is a little better for clean-ability ease, but both will require some maintenance.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
Monicakm

Thanks for the reply. We won't have a shower in the bathroom but I will have travertine on the tub surround.
Monica
Monicakm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

It will still look nice. If you don't want to use as much stone, you might just add some stone with a border, liner, or accents.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase