Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-23-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
jkrause

Question existing granite tile countertop needs corbels installed post install (help)

Hello,

I have a existing granite tile countertop that uses one ft. square tiles (baltic brown if it matters )

The overhang to allow for three bar type chairs is right abound a foot and a couple of inches. In a bind when I 1st had these countertops mudded out and installed I used some CHEAP shelf brackets... 2 years later and I've finally bit the bullet and dropped a couple of dollars on some Nice hardwood corbels....... Now in lies the problem....

how do I install the new corbels.. they have the "key" type slot in them that have to be higher than slid down to lock..... I cannot install them this way....

Whats the answer.......???? Any one retro fit corbels to an existing counter ????????

Last edited by jkrause; 02-25-2007 at 08:10 AM.
jkrause is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I have never installed them but have watched a time or two. Silicone may havta be used on the bottom side of the granite. Sounds like they are mudded so hopefully at least 3/4 plywood is under there. A few screws could be used. On the cabinet face, without seeing a pitcher of it, I would probably drill a few small holes and use screws to get it anchored good. Then, patch up the holes. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:01 AM   #3
Shooter
Taking it easy!

You might be able to put screws into the bottom of the bar top overhang so that the corbel will slide into the key holes and get snug against the cabinets. Then you may be able to drill through the cabinets from the inside of the cabinets and into the corbels.

Hard to say, but it would be easier if we could see a pic of the corbels and counters / cabinets.
Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
ncor
Sculptor/Contractor

remove the keyed setings. use 2 lag bolts for each corbel. predrill the holes to set the lags and not split the corbel. use a second bit to countersink your lag bolts make sure to use a bit size that will corespond to a dowl diamiter. cut the dowl to plug the countersink after the lag has ben set.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Cabinets carcasses (especially the backs) are generally thin plywood or particleboard, so drilling from the corbel into the cabinet can be a wimpy connection. If possible, I personally would drill through the backsides of the cabinets into the solid corbel for a more secure install.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
jkrause

I will take some photos of what I'm working with and post them in this thread as soon as I can. Thanks again for the ideas.......

as for the bar top construction.

1) used 3/4 ply wood
2) added additional ply to under the overhang section of the bar top
3)the countertop was not made using backerboard / concrfete board, I have a licensed 'setter/mudder' do the entire install... prolly looking at a good 5/8" to 1/2 " of mud before te tile was layed.

Again, pictures soon...

Thanks !
Old 02-26-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
jkrause

bump
Old 02-26-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi jkrause,

It may be obvious to others, but I'm wondering what you looking to have answered.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:32 AM   #9
mrjetskey

Thumbs up

I know the type of corbels you are talking about they are supposed to have screws installed in the wall then they slide into place,cant use them this way since the bar is already in place.just mark where you want them go around inside the cabinet and drill through the back of cabinet into corbel then install with large wood screws using a large washer to spread the load on the cabinet when you tighten screws,the screws will go in from inside the cabinet ,so no need for plugs or drilling the corbels from the outside,they can be attached from the top with polyurethane constuction adhesive.JMHO marvin
Old 02-28-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
jkrause

here's the pictures of what I have going on.... take a look how do I get these mounted....... removing the ugly .. replace with the nice.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
Gaylerob

Hi Jkrause,
I had the same scenario with a island I refaced and had no way to attach the corbels from inside the cabinet....
You'll want to finish the corbels first (paint or stain/varnish)
I used a biscuit jointer to make slots in corbel (top and bottom) and corresponding slots in cabinet....use wooden dowels if you don't have a
jointer.....after making sure everything lines up correctly...apply Pl adhesive to surfaces and for added insurance I shot some finish nails in to hold everything until adhesive dried....hope this helps....

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com