Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-19-2007, 07:15 AM   #1
sdk

Is this brand of tile any good?

I'm considering a travertine look porcelain made in the USA by Mediterranea for a master bath floor and shower. Anyone have any experience with this brand? Consistent size, thickness, durability, etc. It is a glazed porcelain, is this as good as the porcelain that is the same color through? Is there any 'test' I can put this tile through to determine its quality?

What about experience with Floor & Decor? Their low prices concern me some, but if I can learn how to separate the good tile from the bad maybe they won't be so dangerous.

Thanks in advance!
sdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
MudMaker
Karl Marxist-Gettin ready for the Revolution

Hi SDK,
Can we have a first name?

As a rule "cheap" and "quality" are never in the same sentence... You want to make sure you not only have the same dye lots, but that you check to see that the calibre numbers match up also.
Calibre numbers should match up.
You can get 20 boxes in with the same dye lot and 5 different calibre numbers. This can amount to a big difference in tile sizes... This is very common at the big box retailers.

The tile should be rated for floor use also.. Grades are from I to V with V being commercial grade..

mm (aka "Paco")
MudMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
sdk

Thanks, Frank, good advice on checking the calibres, I'll make sure I do that.

I'd agree that cheap and quality don't often go hand in hand (hence my seeking advice), but sometimes expensive means profit and not necessarily quality. And, every once in a while you happen upon a true good deal, like this forum, I'm astounded at the quality of info I've gotten for free! By the way the tiles are 2.50/ sf 13x13.

Anyway, this porcelain looks a lot like travertine- something I'm not finding much of, they tend to all look like wanna be's to me. BUT, if it's going to be a nightmare to work with or not hold up then I certainly don't want it!

I've found a fair amount of info on this site about how to tell if a stone is good quality, but not porcelain. Maybe that's because porcelain doesn't have the same inherent problems?

Unfortunately the box, which identifies the tile as Mediterranea brand, doesn't list the PEI rating. How bad of an indication is this? I looked at the website for Mediterranea, but no specs. They claim to have a 20 yr track record in the US, but well, I was hoping for some unbiased, experience driven feedback.

Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
MudMaker
Karl Marxist-Gettin ready for the Revolution

Howdy,
Not familiar with Floor & Decor, nor with Mediterranea... Sorry
I deal with tiles stores like Dal Tile, Florida Tile, and The Tile Store.. They generally have the lowdown on most tiles they carry.. Including which ones to stay away from..
When you're not a tile expert, ya go to the tile experts....

mm (aka "Paco")
MudMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
dl

I've never seen the PEI rating on the tile box - you get that info from the dealer, where I buy it's posted on the sample board.

2.50 ain't that cheap - I just picked up half a palette of daltile 13" travertine look-alike (very good look-alike btw) for $0.80/sf, regular $2.50 or so. It was recently discontinued so this was clearing out remaining stock.

- DL
dl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #6
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
Yeah I but alot from Fllor and decor . Where are you. the guys who started were home depot executives broke off and now have about 14 stores. Medertian tile is by far an awesome tile very ture most of it is porceion. I have price comped them with a another shop I get tile from. Floor and decor was at 1.98 the shop was at 3.45 my cost you tell me. they can sell stuff cheaper they have a lrge checkbook and buy the stuff by the containers. nothing wrong with most of the stuff. hell the thinset and durock is cheaper there.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
sdk

Thanks, Dan, glad to hear you've had good experiences buying from them. I was hoping to hear their prices were due to buying power.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to 'test' a porcelain tile?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #8
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
what do you mean test it?? trust me that stuff is one of the toughest por to cut its goona take a wet saw to cut it. And a grinder you better have a continus rim blade.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com