Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 02-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
jenna7

Wrapping a harlequin tumbled stone border around a window sill

I'm having a rather large bathroom (100 sq ft) remodeled with travertine tile, harlequin tumbled stone trim, and marble on whirlpool decks, vanity, thresholds, window sills, niches etc. The trim around the bathroom is a harlequin beveled stone that is looking good around the bathroom as the tiles are well matched at inside corners but not so around the corners near the window. I'm told the cut edges should be facing the corners and we're watching that the fractions are equal wrapping around the inside corners

PROBLEM AREA: The trim around the window sill looks wrong (unfinished, bulbous) but what can I tell the tile setter (its not set yet)? This harlequin trim is beveled as well which may or may not add to the problem. Do I just give up placing the harlequin around the window edge? There are also 2 upcoming areas where the tile will wrap around a corner and I'm sure he'll run into the same problem there as well. In rest of the bathroom (at image 2) a stone chair rail will be be affixed on top of the trim instead of the top pencil.

This tilesetter is doing a really good job and is patient placing the multi-veined field tiles one by one and according to my pattern. I will need to point out my dissatisfaction with this wrap around and my apprehension about the other 2 he will need to do.
Attached Images

Last edited by jenna7; 02-04-2007 at 04:59 PM.
jenna7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #2
pitterpat
Bathroom Remodels and Schluterville Grad

Jenna,

It needs to be backmitered to work right. Backmitering is cutting a 45 deg angle on the back of the tile.
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
jenna7

Backmitering now if I knew the word in Spanish!

thanks for the quick reply. My kitchen cabinets also end in the middle of a wall and I was told if a wet saw was used to miter the flush cap of a 45 degree angle to finish the outside corner it would look better. I spent many weeks on these forums lurking before I was finally able to come up with some really nice ideas from everyone here. My tile setter was so impressed with my scrap book of pics and ideas, he asked for the links to this website. Is there a pic to describe backmitering or will he understand what it entails?
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

Hi Jenna.
Here is a link to a thread on backmitering
with some pics. Good luck with your tile guy.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
jenna7

Thanks Hamilton, very helpful website and just in the nick of time! Love the way you finish off the backsplashes on your own website as well.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com