Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-16-2007, 10:13 AM   #1
mad1ben2

diamond shaped tile?

We are interested in using true diamond shaped tiles for our backsplash and we're having trouble finding these. I saw a picture from one of the threads here (Vanessa's bathroom overhaul thread) which has a beautiful diamond tile (not a square tile placed on the diagonal!) that we liked.

Couple questions:
* where can we find diamond shaped tiles, preferably a tumbled marble or travertine style? Couldn't find on the Daltile website.
* are there any special things to know about installing these?
* the example I saw in the above-mentioned thread appear to be individual tiles roughly 4" tall by maybe 3" wide... on ebay I see some that appear a bit smaller and come mounted in 1 sq ft meshed sheets... is one better than the other?

Thx,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Forry

For marble or travertine, you could cut them to any shape you want, then polish the edges. I know a guy who's job is to polish and bull nose tile edges! No really!
Forry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
VanTines tubntile

Send a message via Yahoo to VanTines tubntile
talk to your local tile dealer , however most likely you will have a hard time finding diamond shapes already cut as FORRY said
Old 01-16-2007, 11:22 AM   #4
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

I think what you are looking for is referred to a "Harlequin" tile.

Take a look here....

http://www.daltileproducts.com/serie...t=43&pg=8&rm=1
Old 01-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
mad1ben2

Harlequin... ok, thx

Thanks, I'll do a search on harlequin and see what I can find.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #6
Mike2

Jason's got it.

Westminster Ceramics has it in their Natural Stone (tumbled marble) collection, here are several examples:
http://www.westminsterceramics.com/tm_pd01063_lg.html
http://www.westminsterceramics.com/tm_pd01064_lg.html

Then Ceramiche Refin also has it in their Forum series, http://www.refin.it/refin/search.do?...943918&style=* (mouse over a couple of those pictures Scott and you will see it on the walls). I've used this one. It comes in 13" sheets and is actually a porcelain tile but looks exactly like a tumbled travertine.

Visit a couple local tile showrooms and you should be able to find the Daltile, Westminster, and Refin product lines as well as others that are undoubtedly out there.

Scott, be prepared as this stuff can get pricey. I paid $14.35 SF for the Refin rhombus tiles several month ago.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
mad1ben2

Thanks!

Hey Mike, those two from Westminster seem perfect! Thanks for the links.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
vanwassup

Harlequin

They are harlequin tiles and I found them in many different colors at Lowe's. I was able to get some of mine at $2.98 per sq ft because they were discontinuing that particular color. You might still find them there (not the discontinued ones, but other colors). They are normally $7 or $8 per square foot. If you are going for the color scheme I did, I used tumbled marble with a couple of different colors to give a more textured look. I used about 15-20% botticino/80-85% chiaro on the top and 50/50 bottincino/chiaro on the bottom. I used noche for trim and accent pieces.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
mad1ben2

Vanessa

Thanks Vanessa!

My wife and I love the look of your tiling and I appreciate you breaking down the percentage of each color that you used... gives it a nice look with depth and texture (as you said)...

Prior to deciding on the harlequin tiles we were going to go with the very common noche 4"x4"s... the ones at our local HD vary quite a bit in color and I guess I was thinking the variation in your harlequin tiles was just the common variation... didn't realize you were doing that yourself by using different colored tiles... thanks again!

Scott

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com