Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Mojoe

Gap under baseboard between floor tile?

Hi all,

Looking to replace some baseboard, going with larger 5" stuff. Problem is the floor...it's uneven, like most.

Question is should I set the baseboard level (assumed yes) and grout under it when grouting to fill the gap, or use caulk?

Thanks much!

-Mo
Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Is the floor basically level, but uneven? If so, I would go ahead and set the baseboard level too.

If the whole floor is off level, I think I would run the baseboard as parallel to the floor as possible, or else you will be drawing attention to the fact that the floor is not level.

I would choose caulk over grout in either case.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
Mojoe

Dan,

The floor is just wavy in spots. Setting a piece of baseboard 8-12 feet long on the set tile reveals this.

Maybe a gap of a 1/4 inch in spots. So grouting up to the baseboard...then using similar color caulk is the norm?

Thanks
Old 12-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
Mike2

I tape and caulk mine. Results in a nice clean look. Be sure to use sanded caulk and in those areas where the gap approaches 1/4", expect those areas to require 2 passes with 3 days or so of drying in between. You will get some shrinkage there.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
Tim_4_Tile

One solution is to install the baseboard, then install a smaller molding that will conform to the waviness of the floor better, like a piece of quarter round. The quarter round gets nailed to the baseboard (certainly in the case of tile, but even if it is over hardwoor flooring).

Another way is to set the baseboard where you want it and then scribe a line on it that follows the floor. Then you trim the baseboard to the line and it should fit the floor nicely. I did this with some MDF baseboard and a handplane and it was surprisingly easy.
Tim_4_Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:26 PM   #6
prashster

I second Tim's advice. Either use a shoe molding or scribe and trim the base. A belt sander works best.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
Mojoe

Wow.

Great advice, guess the "scribing" would take some trial and error, with the caulking being the quickest.

Thanks all!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
prashster

Try a shoe molding first. THAT's the easiest. Problem w the scribing is you might have to match up the adjacent walls too. Wood shoe molding will have some bend to it, but even better is urethane shoe molding. That stuff'll conform to the floor VERY well. Fewer color options though
Old 12-28-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
Tim_4_Tile

Scribing is intended to eliminate the trial and error. Get a good line and then cut, plane, sand (whatever works) to it and it should fit perfectly.

I googled scribing for something that shows the technique and came up with this...

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/betterfit

it shows using a compass or even just laying a pencil on the floor.
Tim_4_Tile is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com