Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-13-2006, 05:57 AM   #1
SJNJgirl

Floors/Walls...which comes first?

Hi all,

I've been visiting your very lively forum since my bathroom remodel has started and think it's a great forum. Glad to see so many helpful people and thought that I would post a question. So, here goes:

My tile guy is planning on tiling the floor first (small, small bathroom) and then the 3-wall shower/bath alcove. I asked him does it make a difference because I'm thinking that usually things are done top to bottom (like cleaning, dusting) and he said that it doesn't matter. He is planning on waiting 2 days after doing the floor to start the walls.

Am I stressing over nothing?? The tile guy has been doing this for over 20 years, however, I've learned to never assume anything!!

Thanks....from Southern NJ
SJNJgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
bathroomremodeler

You're stressing over nothing. In fact, doing the floor first is the right way if you are concerned with water shed (how the water flows down). If walls first, the water shed goes directly into the grout ... floor first, the water shed goes directly on the tile (which is water proof).

Not a major difference either way though.

Dean
bathroomremodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:22 AM   #3
SJNJgirl

Thanks for the reply. Just needed to hear it from someone who is not involved in this job.

SJ....
Old 12-13-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
Shaughnn
Tile Contractor & Trowel Monkey

SJ,
You don't need to worry about this, as your installer is giving himself a good amount of time for the floor to set up. I would still recommend that you stress to him that you don't want any chance of chipped or marred tiles. This should clue him into taking a few extra precautions on your behalf.
I'll disagree with Dean here though. I choose to set my walls first and provide a space at the bottom to slide my floor tile into. Same effect of diverting water from running directly into the pan, but it protects the floor tile from being damaged during the install of the walls. It takes confidence in your layout to do it this way but "floors first" is not an industry standard at the school I'm from.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Certified WEDI Board installer
NuHeat radiant heating system "Qualified Installer"

"Working is more fun with cookies" ~ Tim Gunn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
bathroomremodeler

SJ,

While I wouldn't dare disagree with Shaughnn and his approach, it really is the type of thing, which came first ... the chicken or the egg. I simply cover the floor to protect it and then do the walls.

Simply said, it is what's underneath the tile that is more important than ... floor first ... wall first.

IMHO,

Dean
bathroomremodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:48 AM   #6
dcousins

i am confused. it seems that the other PPs are talking about the floor of a shower and shower wall, but I thought OP was talking about the floor of a bathroom and then wall of a shower/bath combo. I didn't understand that there is any shower pan involved, but a bath tub. In this case, it doesn't matter except that I have been very messy with thinset and have thinset all over my tile floor which is coming up after the shower is finished. but I could clean the tile floor if I had to.

btw, i am tiling my shower now and I tiled my wall first, leaving 8" on the bottom, installed the pre-formed kerdi tray and then the kerdi, bands, corners, etc. then the tile floor and then the last row of wall tile.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
SJNJgirl

Deborah got it right....there is no shower pan. It's a bathtub and I'm having the 3 walls tiled. I'm doing a ledge on one side and that's the only part of the tub tile that will meet the floor.

It just seems easier to do the walls first, because of mess, or walking on the newly installed floor tiles. I think I will tell him to cover the floor with something so that it stays clean.

SJ....
Old 12-13-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
HemiMan2500HD

I am doing a job right nnow where I have no choice but to tile the floor first. When I am done I will be putting down foam underlayment like they put under laminate floors and then 1/2 OSB. I dont want to take a chance of getting the light coloroed onyx scratched or dirty while other work is going on
Old 12-13-2006, 07:36 PM   #9
justin in tile

i agree with dean floor first,always nicer job,
slipping tile under wall is good as well ,providing floor is level or flat.
if floor is mudded level walls can stack up nicely from floor giving a nice starting point with gravity on your side.
justin in tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
Shaughnn
Tile Contractor & Trowel Monkey

Justin,
See, it's really not as complicated as y'all make it out to be. If my tile is level on the walls, then the bottom of my wall tile will be level also. And if the bottom of my tile is level, then the floor tile that I slip in underneath it will also be level. This technique works best in showers, but I've used it in plenty other large rooms. Heck, I don't think I've ever set a commercial bathroom without putting the walls up first. Walls, base, and lay your floors as you back out the door.
Shaughnn
Certified WEDI Board installer
NuHeat radiant heating system "Qualified Installer"

"Working is more fun with cookies" ~ Tim Gunn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com