Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
cactusman

Filling space between tile and carpet

Hi... I am a newbie DIYer working on a master bath retilng project. This site has been a tremendous resource and I wanted to say thanks for the help! I am (hopefully) coming to an end but I am having a problem lining the tile up with the surrounding carpet.

I am ready to lay the last of my 16x16 slate tiles into three doorways (entry from bedroom to bathroom and bathroom to dual entry closet). In the first doorway (BR to BATH), full tiles can be placed that will meet the carpet line perfectly. My preference would be to have the tile transition directly to the carpet. However, in between the tiled floor and the closet, there would be about a 3/4" gap between a full tile and the carpet. Would cutting 1/2" strips of my tile be strong enough to handle the kind of foot traffic one would expect in that area? What other options would there be? I have looked at using carpet bars but I'm not a big fan of those (nor am I sure that would even work).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Joe
cactusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #2
Mike2

Hi Joe.

Without the benefit of a picture, two things come to my mind. Re-stretch the carpet top pick up the 3/4". Or at those doorways, cut the main 16" field tiles at the wall line. Then place a line of cut tiles (forming a saddle) between the door jambs aligned to the carpet in the other room.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
cactusman

Thanks for such a quick response! I had a feeling someone would mention that second scenario. The carpet is already in place and I can't get anymore out of it than what is there. Cutting the tile to the wall line would leave me with a 2 1/4" wide strip in the door jamb. Does that seem like enough? Is there a general rule for how to orient a room to avoid this type of scenario?

Joe
cactusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
sdaniels7114
Flooring Contractor

Where will the transition from carpet to tile be in relation to the door? I ask 'cause nothing looks sillier imo than not locating that sort of transition directly under the door.

I agree with you about the carpet bar. I once heard someone call that stuff 'emergency metal.' That name has always stuck in my head because that's about all its good for. You can find some incredibly wide versions of it at the big boxes though.

Steve D
sdaniels7114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com