Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
pamk

tile around a bathroom mirror

I'm almost done with my bathroom tile job. The final step is to hang a 24 x 30 inch mirror on the wall over the vanity and attach a tile frame to the wall around the mirror.

I have seen two mirrors tiled into backsplashes in restaurants, and with both, the silver of the mirror had deteriorated. I want to prevent that. Any ideas out there?

I've already prepared 13 frame sections--For each one I cut a 3-inch and a 1-inch strip of 12" tile, bullnosed both edges of the 3-inch and 1 edge of the narrow piece. Created sandwiches with one wide and one narrow strip so that the frame will have a bevel after I attach it to the wall. So far the pieces look great--bullnosed on one edge and a double thickness double-bullnose on the other edge. I'll grout the joints after I've mitered the corners and stuck the pieces on the wall.

So, how can I attach the mirror to the painted wall to prevent the moisture damage I see with old mirrors. I am planning on sticking the mirror to the wall with liquid nails. What would be better?

I could silicone all around the edges of the mirror to make it waterproof...trapping whatever moisture is in the air at the time. Or, I could also make sure there is ventilation by leaving air holes.

I was going to caulk the space between the mirror and the tiles, but the mirror is beveled, and it looks great if I just push the tiles up against the mirror without any caulk…unless that would be a problem.

Thank you for all the advice. I hope I can post pics before too many more months go by!
Pam
pamk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Pam

I suggest trying to get some mirror adhesive (caulking) from a local glass shop. After the tile and mirror installation, sealing the edge of the mirror with silicone is the key. Most new mirror installations sit directly on countertop backsplashes (maybe on a couple of glass shims), and are caulked vs. the old method of sitting in a J channel. Moisture would accumulate in the channel and start delaminating the plating of the mirror.

It is also very important to make sure your bathroom has good ventilation. If you visit my website, I have a photo of a tiled mirror application in the gallery under the Ceramic Tab, Rollover #1 found here.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
pamk

How Beautiful!

John:
Thank you for what is clearly information from someone who knows what he is doing. I'm ready to start!
Thanks!

I found your tiled mirror. It is beautiful! You did a great job dealing with the electrical outlet! Sometimes I think electricians make life difficult on purpose!
Pam
Old 11-19-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Thanks Pam!

The switches and the outlet really presented a challenge. After reviewing all of my options, and several layouts, that was the best I could come up with.

I wound up mitering a return on the chair rail pieces, and gluing them together (similar to what a carpenter would do with terminating a piece of base or crown moulding.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #5
pamk

Finished project

Thanks to all. I like the way this turned out and so far the silver on the mirror is fine. I did use a spray sealer for the edges that I ordered from a local glass installer.
Attached Images

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com