Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
postmansi

How to cut an odd shaped tile

Greetings,

Just finished dry fitting my kitchen tile which is a pinwheel pattern using 21 and 14 inch tiles. The lay out is perfect but I have one cut around the pantry door frame which is gonna be hard to cut. It is on th 21 inch tile of couse. The tile will end up looking like a letter U with a 7 x 19 inch chunk taken out of the middle of the tile. The bottom of the tile will wind up with only 2 inches of tile left. I am using a rail saw which can cut 22 inch tiles. Should I just make a series of cuts 19 inches into tile side by side until I have eaten the seven inch chunk out of the tile. then use nippers to square it off? Once I manage to get this cut will the be apt to break if I flex it at all as the bottom wil only have 2 inches of tile left.

Thanks
Jon
postmansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

No doubt it will break...if you put any stress on it, at all. This is one of those times where we sometimes have to make a cut five times to get it right.I would first make my U cut, then some more straight cuts into it as you said, then use my angle grinder to slowly eat away at the inside of it...sometimes it helps to put a clamp of some sort on the sides to keep tension on the bulk of the tile so the vibration doesn't crack it...also some water while cutting will help keep the heat from breaking it.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:21 PM   #3
JTG

Jon
will your rail saw do a plunge cut (drop the blade onto the tile)? If so then you can mark the tile front and back and take the pice right out. If not make a lot of narrow cuts down to your mark (so tile looks like a comb) Those pieces will break off easy and then you can clean up the cut to fit perfect.
Good Luck
JTG

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com