Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 11-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
SRPACE

Commercial tile industry

Hello. I am looking into a job as a superintendent with a commercial tile installation company (they mainly do very large jobs in hotels, office buildings etc). Does anyone here have experience in this side of the industry as a supervisor/superintendent/project manager that could relay any sort of input regarding this type of position? For this particular company, this position is entry level. I am switching from a completely different line of work. I would love to hear any advice that you may give. Thanks in advance!
Stephen
SRPACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

I can provided you with plenty of info but I guess it would be easier to know what you are looking for. What type of work are you coming from and at what level?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Superintendent on a tile job? Entry level? You are serious? The setters will string up up.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:32 PM   #4
SRPACE

Hey John and Kevin. I private message both of you. Please take a look at it when you get a chance.
Stephen
Old 11-13-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Stephen,
I've foreman'd a few gigs and I've seen more than a couple of supers go down in flames. As a super, you'll never be a friend to the mechanics, so don't try. They'll resent you because you haven't paid your dues on your hands and knees like the rest have. They'll pad their timecards, loose equipment (which looks just like the new stuff in their garage), they'll waste materials, and they'll smile at you and shake your hand while they are doing it all.
Your job is to know your director's pricing schedule and become the best at meeting or exceeding his expecations,...period. That'll mean that you throw four-times more apprentices onto a job than you've been contracted to, including having an apprentice run them as a foreman. You'll cut deals with sleazy client supes to have your crews tile their homes gratis on weekends, just to keep your bids on their table. You'll suffer weekly crucifictions at in-house production meetings because your labor-hours for the week never ever seems to meet expectations, even when it's exceeding them on paper.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:46 AM   #6
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Sun not shining much in WA these days Shaughnn ? You make it all sound so gloomy, LOL. But, I do agree being a job super is best left to older guys with bad knees who know both the installation process and the scams.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

I'm lovin' the weather here, Dave. Stephen asked "What to expect" and I'm just givin' him the "Coyote Ugly" view right away. Sure, there's an upside to the gig, but I'll let him find that on his own. Can't take all the fun away now, can I?
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
SRPACE

well, I do truly appreciate the responses. definately not exactly what I wanted to hear, but certainly in line with what I expected to hear. somehow, I'm not scared off from continuing to try for the position. The fact that I haven't paid my dues in the industry is my biggest concern. I currently work for a bank- a suit and tie just isn't in my nature. At least with my current position, I have a strong taste of what it's like to be yelled at fairly often and I'm used to people trying to be sleazy so they can try to get something out of me. I understand that this position is best left to someone with lots of experience, but I know that I can adapt quickly to this field of work. Again, I appreciate the comments that have been left so far. They have all been very helpful and it's what I need to hear. Thanks.
Stephen
Old 11-14-2006, 01:52 PM   #9
JohnT

Hi Stephen,

Good luck in your new field. Actually, I'm shocked your even being considered since your profession is like 180 degrees apart from construction. :

I couldn't agree with you more though......this office thing just doesn't get it!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Stephen, send me an email address and I will send you a few sample 9300 specs if you like. Those are the basis of AIA work
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase