Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
rondino21

CBU/Greenboard Interface

Hi,
I am yet another newbie attempting a tile shower remodel after ripping out an old nasty fiberglass unit. Although I have been reading through threads and the Liberry I have been unable to find information about the cbu/greenboard interface around a tiled shower. Specifically, I am trying to figure out how to tape and or mud this area. Do I use thinset or joint compound? Should I use fiberglass mesh instead of drywall tape? Are there any specific tricks I need to know? Did I miss this thread somewhere? I would appreciate any help on the subject.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this forum. You offer us newbies a lot of confidence attempting to remodel our homes.

Ron
rondino21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #2
kbeau

Ron, I had the same question. Take a look at posts #1 and 2 in this thread.
http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/show...che#post460347
kbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Mike2

Ron, this can be done a number of ways.

I'd begin by choosing a backer board that is a true 1/2" thick to match up to the wallboard. Durock will, Hardibacker will not. Doing this will save you a number of headaches downstream. Then arrange your backerboard cuts so that the transition seam to wallboard will be completely covered by tile. Or, to put this a different way, have your tile overlap onto the wallboard by an inch or so. Tape and mud that transition just like the other backerbaord seams.

I'd recommend you tape and mud the seams as you set the tile, not before.

P.S. Why are you using greenboard?
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
rondino21

CBU/Greenboard Interface

Thanks for the quick replies. Well I chose to use Greenboard because I thought it would be sufficient in areas of the bathroom that will not have direct contact with water. My bathroom has the shower stall and toilet with a pocket door that opens into the vanity area. Is this a good idea? Or should I use CBU throughout the bathroom?

Ron
rondino21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #5
Mike2

Ron, you can save yourself some money and use regular drywall instead which is exactly what I would do. Greenboard is not necessary in those areas outside the shower.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #6
jdm

Greenboard is essentially a product without a purpose. It is nowhere near waterproof enough to be used in a wet area, and in dry areas, regular drywall properly primed and painted is fine. Regular drywall is stronger, too.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
rondino21

Thanks to Kbeau, Mike2, and jdm for your help. I will take your advice and use regular drywall outside of the shower area in the bathroom. I was only able to find 1/2 Hardibacker at the local HD. I hope that will work as well as Durock.

Ron
Old 11-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #8
Mike2

Better get the tape measure out Ron and measure that 1/2" Hardi. How thick is it? Next measure your 1/2" wall board. How thick is that?

Then re-read my post # 3. Make more sense now?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:35 AM   #9
kbeau

Home Depot

In all the HD's I been to, the Hardi & the Wonderboard are near the tile but the Durock is way over near the sheetrock. Doesn't mean that's true where you are, of course.
kbeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com