Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Old 11-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
Mixing smaller batches of Versabond

I remember reading in another thread here a while back where someone asked about mixing smaller batches of Versabond and wanted to know the recipe for doing so. The regular 50 lb. bag gets mixed with 6 quarts of water.

I'm a slow worker, so was interested in finding the answer to that as well. Today, I tiled the first of three walls in my shower, so wanted to mix only a portion of the bag. I have 3 of the Homer buckets from Home Depot, so I took a ruler and Sharpee marker and marked 1" increments from the exterior bottom of the buckets up the side. Then I started by pouring the Versabond into the three buckets to get a roughly equal amount. I set the buckets with their markings facing away from the sun so I could see through the sidewalls of the bucket to see how much Versabond was in each. After shifting some from one bucket to another so that they were all the same and shaking buckets to get them level, here is the result:

A Homer bucket with about 3.5" of Versabond in it (again, that's 3.5" from the EXTERIOR bottom of the bucket) is about 1/3 of a bag of Versabond, so would need 2 quarts of water. Of course, the resulting mix needs to be where it is creamy and will fall off a mixer in clumps, not run off of it. If it runs off, it's too wet.

I thought this might help anyone else who likes to work slow like I do and just do a little at a time.
EGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
Florida Tile & Stone Man
Thanx Eddie..the anal, and old folks thank you as well.

Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #3
Send a message via AIM to rayc325
For even smaller amounts I just put about 2-3 cups of water in a bucket and added VB until it got to the right consistency. This way I always know how much I will get..and how long it will last me.

Do as little as possible and that unwillingly.
For it is better to receive a slight reprimand than to perform an arduous task..
rayc325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
I used a 3 to 1 ratio.

Thats 3 parts versabond, 1 part water. So if you hve a 5 quart mixing bucket (always what saved my butt) then you can mix 48oz of versabond to 16 oz of water. (I just count lines y'all and it works out for me)

the 3 to 1 ratio works regarless of what measurement you decide to use though. (so if you do 3 quarts or 96oz of versabond, you'd use 1quart or 32oz of water)

I sprinkle in a little versbond if its too loose, but this formula is the one that keeps me ot of the most trouble.

House 2006 Project
Arcadia is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase