Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-23-2006, 05:10 PM   #1
WHCB

Bevel edge travertine ??

I'm doing a bath floor and wall with a 18x18 travertine tile. The floors pretty much done, but around the tub, some steps, a bench, ledge wall and post i have to install the tile. Alot of outside edges. I've been trying to cut a beveled edge on the tile to reduce the groutline where two pieces butt up to each other but have a problem with it chipping and splintering. Is it possible to do this ?? If not I'll have to figure something else out with my cutomer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, you always have a lot of helpful hints on here. I am using a decent wetsaw to do this

Last edited by WHCB; 10-23-2006 at 05:11 PM. Reason: left something out
WHCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
skydivr

Unless I don't understand what you mean there's need to bevel the edges, just overhang the horizontal pieces so that they're flush with the vertical pieces and flat polish the exposed edge.

Dave
skydivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
WHCB

Travertine edge....

What I was trying to do was cut a 45 degree edge on both the horiz. and vert. pieces so they would butt against each other for a 1/16th inch groutline.....the travertine edge is rough plus its got holes, vien cracks on some.....then the next question would be if cutting doesnt work, how do you polish the edge and fill the holes.....I'm delaying this part of the project til I can figure this out......thanks for your help so far
WHCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
skydivr

I never try to cut 45's for that joint. Travertine is too soft and will likely chip or break at the thinnest edge. To flat polish I'll use a variable speed 4" dry grinder with multiple wet/dry sanding discs starting with 120 grit and finish with 400+ depending on if the stone is honed or polished.
To fill the holes you can use non-sanded grout to match the color of the stone or use Traverfill epoxy filler if the holes are too large.
The finished edge should match the surface of the stone exactly.

Dave
skydivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

One trick to bevelling and cutting 45's is to begin your cut back from the edge about a blade width, this gives the edge more meat and strength,then you can sand or round it without worry of it flaking or breaking off.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com