Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #1
zachthemason

walk in shower

hello everyone! i am getting ready to build a new house and i am including a walk in shower in my plan. i am a mason and my expertise is limited to brick,block, stone, wall tile and floor tile. i have never done all tile shower. i have a few things i am a little concerned about. first of all, would i be better off to have a concrete floor in the shower apposed to just having a subfloor?It would be very easy to put a concrete floor because the shower will be over a crawl space. Will i still have to put a mud bed down over concrete that already has a pitch toward the drain? Secondly, what is the best kind of tile to use on the floor. obviouslly i want something that is not slick. Finally do i need a vent fan in the shower to get rid of the "fog" you get when you take a hot shower?

thank you in advance
zach
zachthemason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Howdy Zach, welcome to the forum.

You got a bunch of questions in there. With all the variables, I think it's best to take a look at this thread. It's a collection of threads on shower construction that will familiarize you with lot's of great info. Spend some time studying them and come on back with as many questions as you like.

As far as an exhaust fan, it's code in any bathroom around these parts. Even if it's not required by you, get one in there. There are standard fans that are rated for "damp areas" can go in the bathroom anywhere, but directly over the shower...and then there are those rated for "wet areas" that can go directly over the shower area. Take a look at what your fan is rated for before deciding on a location.

Click here to learn how you can help fight the craptacular disease of Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #3
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

You do not want concrete. Its too wet, it will crack and those cracks will migrate up to the tile.

You want mud, a really dry sandy form of cement.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Zach, welcome.

When you say a walk in shower, does that mean a curbless shower or just a shower stall?

If the house is to be pier and beam, let it go under the shower the same way. You can lower it a little if you want in the shower area, maybe 1 1/2 inches. For a curbless shower it can go even lower.

We are using alot of big tiles these days in showers, if you decide to use them, try to find something that also comes in 6x6 or smaller for the shower floor and also a bullnose trim would be nice.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
zachthemason

i have another question. what is the kerdi system?
zachthemason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:14 PM   #6
prescottrecorder

There are plenty of Kerdi shower projects described on the forum, but if you want to go to the source, go to www.schluter.com. Once you get their home page, click on Products, then shower systems. You can play some videos there that show how the installation goes.

For a non-skid shower floor, use fairly small tiles. 2"X2" is pretty typical. The grout lines give your feet something to grab onto. For extra insurance, find an ADA rated tile. These have a built in non skid surface.

I've just finished a shower that has it's own vent and really like it. What worked for me was a remote vent fan made by Fantec which not only allowed installation of a vent in a wet area, but also services two others in the bathroom: one in the main bath and another over the toilet. A vent in the shower keeps the fog out of the main bath and your mirrors and also helps to dry the shower out. Put the fan on a timer and couple its operation with a shower light (rated for wet areas).

I've also heated my shower floor and bench with low voltage electric heat under everything and wouldn't live without it now. Mine was made by warmfloors and is a conductive plastic, but there are other low voltage solutions out there (24V).

If you want to do a Kerdi shower, you must do a Kerdi drain, so plan for that before you proceed very far or you'll be ripping stuff out.

Good luck!

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com