Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2006, 08:08 AM   #1
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9
Backing/backer rod...what is it and where do I get it?


The title says it all. I have 3/8 - 1/2" gaps at junction of drywall wall and tile floor as well as a gap between tile and tub. Every resource I have mentions the use of backing or backer rod with caulk.

I cant find it. Does it go by another name? I have Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, Ace and True Value hardware stores nearby.

Thanks in advance.

tseboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
Registered User
JTG's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ballard, WA
Posts: 4,495
You have over anylized this Tyler. Rod is used for expansion joints in large installation like a shopping mall where there is a gap and tile picks up again on the other side.
In you bathroom you leave the gap at the wall and will put base board over it. At the tub I wouldn't leave a gap that was more than 3/16". You can fill all of these gaps with caulk that matches the caulk.
If you want rod you need to find a tile contractors supply house. Click on the TYW store link above and ask them if they can supply it. Master Wholesale, www. masterwholesale.com in Seattle can mail it to you. If you call them make sure to tell them that Jerry The Tile Guy sent you their way. (Hey guys see how is smiled at the robots/crawlers again? )
Good Luck

Santa Seattle

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Da Home Builder
cx's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Boerne, Texas
Posts: 85,516
Go to Homer's and look in the section where they have alla door and window weather stripping and such, Tyler. You're looking for a round foam strip, prolly gray in color, maybe in a long coil. What you want is something to stuff into large gaps that then want to be filled with caulk. Hasta be compressable and stay that way.

But Jerry's right. At the wall joints that will be covered by trim, you don't need anything and the joint at the tub shouldn't be big enough to require backer.

My opinion; worth price charged.

cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9
well that was easy.

thank you both for the reply.

tseboe is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2014 John Bridge & Associates, LLC