Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-21-2002, 11:02 AM   #1
GFT

Hi all:

I'm curious to know any comments from the pros about heated floor (under tile) installations. What seems to work best (electric or water tubes) and have you folks run into difficulties or problems.

The way I'm seeing it done here (western NC)is to put the plastic line (water) down and then mud over. The installs I've seen are engineered floor trusses with 23/32" Vantech subfloor. Trusses are 16" OC. It's a very stiff floor system and the Vantech is T&G. The guys are putting the tubing directly over the subfloor and then mudding.

Any ideas/comments are appreciated. I'm planning on building my custom home sometime early next year and want to incorporate heated floors in the kitchen and baths.

Thanks,

Grant
Brevard, NC
Old 11-21-2002, 11:11 AM   #2
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

They both work well, is electric inexpensive where you live? That can be a major consideration.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 03:19 PM   #3
Cami A
Official Hostess and Moderator at Large

Ok, Grant, I'll ask- why just the kitchen and bath? Heated floors are great throughout the house.

What you've seen done is fairly close to what we did in our house. I wanted the AdvanTech subflooring, but it's not available in the boonies. We settled for plywood, and applied some Thompson's. Lots of clips to hold the tubing in place, then we covered with concrete.
Old 11-21-2002, 03:58 PM   #4
GFT

Talking

Hi Cami:

So is your radiant system elec or water? or other?

Yes, the Advantech is good stuff.

I'm guessing you have radiant floors throughout? Do you even have that in carpeted areas, if you have any? Is your flooring a built-up (i.e. trusses) system and did you float the entire surface or just your areas you installed with heat?

I've kind of just leaned at kitchen/halls/master only as a way to reduce cost but have a nice amenity. More stuff...more cost

Thanks,

Grant
Old 11-21-2002, 05:23 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Grant,

There are a number of threads here having to do with radiant heat. Try the search at the top right of the page.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 06:45 PM   #6
Cami A

Grant, we have RFH throughout the lower level of the house- it's still in the unfinished state, though. Carpet can be used with RFH- you just need to design that into your plan (loops closer together).

I'm not sure how you would save by putting in hydronic only in certain areas- you would still need a water heater or boiler, manifolds, expansion valves, etc, no matter if your system was throughout only part of the house. I can see the "tile warmers"- the electric mats being cheaper then. Those aren't really a heating system, but rather a "comfort" item.

Of course, up here I don't need AC, so I don't have to worry about running ducts. Something to consider if you do go with a complete hydronic system is the newer "mini-duct" high velocity air conditioners. Those look spiffy, but our handful of days over 90 just isn't enough to justify the expense of any ac system.

You can DIY this sort of system if you have the time and inclination. I have to say that the heat from the RF is exceptionally comfortable- no drafts, no registers to worry about.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:26 PM   #7
kdzgon
Official CPA -- JB Forums

Quote:
Originally posted by Cami A
Ok, Grant, I'll ask- why just the kitchen and bath? Heated floors are great throughout the house.
Spoken like a true northerner that neglected to look at a map...
kdzgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 01:50 PM   #8
Cami A

Laurie, I just figured those south of me have thin blood, and need the heat, too.
Old 11-22-2002, 02:00 PM   #9
GFT

Thanks for the reminder, John, about the search engine available here. It's a wonderful resource and I've explored it.

Cami, I'm going to do a lot more research on the radiant heating products out there. However, the PEX systems (for water) seem to be predominant in my area.

Thanks for all the comments, folks.

Grant
Brevard, NC

Old 11-22-2002, 04:27 PM   #10
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

I'll bet it can get kind of nippy in West North Carolina. Who's side were they on in the Civil War?

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase