Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-03-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
vacageo

Thinset Consistency

I'm tiling a shower and ended up having to buy an additional bag of thinset. It was a different brand. The first bag mixed up relatively loose, in that the drill would spin the mixer with little resistance and the thinset resembled a Jamba Juice. The second bag was very, very thick and the drill actually got hot try to mix it. The thiner stuff still held up on the wall and set up well. The second bag was a bit difficult to spread and I had to push very hard to get acceptable coverage. What's going on? How do I tell when the consistency is "right?"
vacageo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
prashster

The instructions for adding water in the second batch might have been off. This has happened before. I've seen it suggested that you first add water, then keep adding drymix and blending until it gets to the right consistency. That consistency should be thick enough to hold ridges when troweled.

Personally, I find suggestions to mix to a 'pastelike', 'frostinglike', 'peanutbutterlike' 'mayonaiselike' consistency too vague. I keep mixing and adjusting until it combs properly. After 2-3 batches, you'll get a sense for the right thickness by seeing how it clings to the mixer.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Cool Jamba juice????

Well, you may have mixed more liquid relative to powder in your original product than your substitute product..... whether modified or not.

Or your second product was a medium or heavy bed mix used for setting larger irregular stone.

Or your second product was way expired in shelf life years.

What was the brand name and type of both thinset products you used?

Folks here-a-bouts set tile with thinset mixed to the consistency of tooth paste, whipped cream, soft peanut butter, soft margarine, etc.

Of course if thinset mixed to the consistency of Jamba juice works well for you.... I guess your benchmark consistency each time is Jamba juice.

What is the consistency of Jamba juice anyway :---)
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
claycarson
Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance

Forget about the juice, what's a Jamba Fruit?

Does it grow on trees?

Do they have poisonous stingers on the trees?

Does the juice come in a fermented form?

Can we use any other smileys in this post???

www.tileboston.com
claycarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:56 AM   #5
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

I googled it Clay:

Jamba Juice is a burgening chain of smoothie restaurants in a bunch-o-states and the District (of Colombia that is) with growing sales of billions (git's yerself in-on the ground floor…which is prolly stuck down wif' dried JJ).

Jamba Juice has a secret recepie (prolly an old Laticrete look-a-like) sooo… you know it's got's to be good….. and prolly good for you too…. at least better than sipping 317 Floor and Wall. ... .
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:17 AM   #6
prashster

Jamba juice was big in CA when I was there coupla years back. The secret to JJ is all the additives they put in, like spirulina, protein powder, and vitamins. Vacageo, have you thought to add these things to your thinset?
Old 10-04-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
sandbagger

well, different brand, different mix. for example

a 50-lb bag of Kerabond takes 1-1/2 gal of water

a 50-lb bag of PremiumPlus? how about 2-1/2 gal.

that's right, I had to double-check to be sure, but that's what the bags say. I've used both and have to say both seem to work.

Both are considered "premium" dry-set mortars, but big diff in water needed. Why? I have no idea, but it's there.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #8
thecrow

I personally never bothered with how much water the bags recommended. The right consistency is just something that is found mixing bag after bag year after year. I found that when I started years ago, Man. Recommendations were never even close to being accurate. The problem with very soupy thinset is that by adding too much water to make it easier to work with, the strength is undermined. Improperly mixed thinset can mean the difference between a long lasting installation and a failure.
thecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
vacageo

Thanks for Responses

Thanks everyone. Your responses were very helpful. I'd buy you all a Jamba Juice if you were out here in good 'ol California.
vacageo is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com