Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 11-18-2002, 05:46 AM   #1
skskreed

Now that the plumbing is finished, let's hope, I need to find my tile. I have looked here in the town that I live in but can't find what I am looking for. I want a tile for the bathtub/shower area wall.

I think I want ceramic or porcelain tile. What I am looking for is the boarder tile that matches a decorative tile that I would use as inserts. Not handpainted but would look like it.

Any one know of a place online that I could look at tile. I have looked at Dal tile and American Olean but they don't have what I want. I don't know of any other manufactures to look for.

Also what is modified thin set? I have hardibacker to use and it says to use modified thin set. Is it what you mix water with or can you get it pre mixed?

Thanks Karen
skskreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2002, 06:21 AM   #2
Garrett

Karen, I'm using Versabond which is a modified thinset mortar. Add water and mix. As far as getting your tiles, you mebbe have to go to a bigger city to find what you're looking for.

"There is nothing common about common sense."------Voltaire
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 06:28 AM   #3
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Modified thinset has ground up latex in it to make it stick better. With modified thinset, you only need water. With un-modified thinset, you can add liquid "admix" to make it stick better. Modified is the easy way to go, I think.

Also, Hardibacker recommends wetting the board with a sponge just before combing the thinset on. Not drippy, just damp. It is a very "thirsty" board that will suck the moisture out of the thinset too fast if you don't do this.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 06:35 AM   #4
skskreed

great pixs

Davem saw you pixs great job! love your tiles where did you find them?
skskreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 06:43 AM   #5
Cami A
Official Hostess and Moderator at Large

Karen, there's really no place to buy tiles over the net if you're looking for standard field tiles. (Lots of mosaics and artisian tiles, though!)

You're probably going to have to wander out of town and find an actual tile store- much better selection, and they'll help you with all the little accessory pieces you need, too.

Old 11-18-2002, 08:06 AM   #6
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Thanks Karen,
We found them at a local wholesale tile store. They don't sell to the public, but referred us to a retail store that buys from them. My wife and I are not very creative (artistic?), and we were everwhelmed with all the tile choices. What helped us was this showroom had quite a few "mock up" bathrooms, some as small as just a vanity with backsplash. It helped us to see the tiles up on the walls. It turned out these were very affordable, so we splurged on the listello and half round border to add interest.
Oh yeah, after we bought them, I was up at HD buying tools and found they sell the same tile! But I keep telling myself that the ones at the Home are seconds.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com