Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-18-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
billm

Shower floor using cement board

I was thinking of using cement board to create a shower pan, as I hate concrete and have a bad back. I was going to use a center drain, in about a 54" by 34" shower, with a 12" shower seat at about chair height. I would be using the membrane to seal it. Concrete board would be an inexpensive alternative to the Schluter system, and I am way overbudget in my bathroom remodel already. I would be putting this over an 1 1/4 layered plywood subfloor. What are the biggest hazzards here? Also, does anyone have a general idea what the Schluder system would cost? My nearest distributer is Home Depot, and you never get an easy answer there.
billm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #2
Mike2

Bill, let's set your past experience with concrete aside, way aside.
OK. With that out of the way, what are your thoughts about dinking around with damp sand? Just as intimidating?

P.S. Backerboard just won't work...and you'll prolly hear more about that.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Bill,

It's almost certain faliure to use the cement board floor. Look into the Scluter system...I think it's around 500$ for everything. We could walk you through it...Or find a buddy with a good back and we can talk about sand and cement.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Bill here is a link to the Schluter system at Tile-Experts.com that Trask is talking about. It's a complete lightweight system. Occasionally you have to add an inch or two of mud at the perimeter for different shaped showers, but that's it. Take a look.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
mbond

The guys at Home Depot told me to do the same thing with the cement board. I don't want to talk bad about them but I never get good advice when I go there. Now I just stick to the "where are the..." type questions.

I used the Kerdi and it was very simple. I bought the whole shower system (curb, floor, kerdi) and it was about $450 on Shluter's Ebay store. It was worth every penny I paid and would use it again if someone asked me to do their shower. I loved the pre-sloped shower tray.
mbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Bill, what ever you do, don't use the cement board on the shower floor. Hopefully the shower tray will work for you. If not, mudding the floor isn't all that bad.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com