Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
Iggy

Grouting Wood look a like tile???

I am looking at / thinking about putting down some tile that looks like hardwood flooring. The various sizes are 5 1/2 x 16, 6 x 20, etc. All are a tad under 7/16 thick. I was told they are industrial grade. When the tiles are set, they are butted up to each other, and the finished look is a 'V' joint on the surface which mimics that style of hardwood flooring, along with the graining and stained look of hardwood. I don't think it receives a grout, since this would just fill in the V joint and detract from it being wood look a like tile. But since I am thinking of putting it in a bottom stairwell and laundry room....I want it to have some sort of a water repellent effect if there should be an accident at some time with the washing machine or water heater.

My questions:

1. Is it okay to treat the joints with a clear silicone caulk, and then clean out the V joints before it dries?

2. By doing this, will any of the caulk really create a quasi water barrier, or is it a waste of my time?

I am concerned that if I don't do something, the water will just pass through the ungrouted, uncalked joints of the tile to the backer board and create a wet substrate. I haven't decided on it as of yet....these questions are part of my decision making process. But if I can get the look of wood with tile in that area of the house, I would love to go that route. Any experience and expertise with this product will be appreciated. Thank you. Mike
Old 09-06-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
koihito
No one of consequence.

The grout is not waterproof anyway, so I wouldn't base my decision an that. I would, however, encourage you to get a couple boxes to inspect before you purchase a bunch. I've used wood look tiles on a few occasions and they have always been crowned and cupped enough that butting them together would be impossible.
Attached Images

No one of consequence...

www.TellJapan.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
CoderMan1

Iggy,

Sounds like we are about to install the same type tiles. I got mine from Porcelanosa and they are 9x26. The lady Im working with said to grout it 1/8" thick. So that is what we are doing. Ive see it installed in Germany with a 1/4" grout and it didnt look that great. I will be posting pics as we get through the install a little further. The tile should be arriving tomorrow.
CoderMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Put some in "hardwood look-a-like" tiles several months ago with 3/16" grout lines and that was baaaaaaarely large enough to camouflage the warped tiles. Butting warped tiles is not advisable.
Attached Images

Click here to learn how you can help fight the craptacular disease of Multiple Sclerosis (MS).
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
Iggy

Thankyou for your experience and the EXCELLent pictures. It helps alot. If I go that route I will use 3/16 to 1/4 inch spacer and grout to match the tile. What size trowel.....3/8 " ? Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
madambleau

wood look ceramic tile

Hey, I paid installers locally to install a wood look ceramic tile planks, they showed me a sample laid on their showroom floor. I said I want that. I didn't get that. Now I am fighting with the flooring company. The grout lines are too big, and the grout color didn't dry the right color!! The showroom floor shows a small grout line (1/8") and they did 1/4" and the grout color dried really light. It looks JUST like a tile floor! If I wanted a tile floor I could've had a friend lay it for free! The store said that they could stain the grout. I'm scared to pick a grout stain color, for fear it won't dry right. I would like them to redo the floor - correctly. any suggestions?

My tile looks just like the photo above, just picture tan grout lines! I would love it if the grout color was like the picture above
madambleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
ragdoll

I'm obviously not laying these tiles as they lay in this picture... but you can see that they butt up nicely. I already did a dry run of the room and they are smooth as butta with no grout lines. Grouting a wood tile floor pretty much defeats the purpose so I would steer clear of that.

If water is your concern then I would put down a porcelin and then use epoxy grout. Then you're pretty water tight. Water won't get through epoxy at all.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Rd Tile
Tile Man

I wouldn't steer clear, I'd grout em.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #9
JTG

What does the tile manufacturer say?
JTG

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
java
Hugging Trees Oct. 1st

Try for a 1/8 grout joint.

Use sanded grout.

The 'cheaper' wood look tiles are just that; cheap.

Spend the extra dough and you will be happy you did.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
nerdman

name of Tile

What is the name of the tile that you show, and where did you get it?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Welcome, Nerdman.

At least three different tiles pictured in this thread. Maybe you could specify which you wanna know about?

Keep in mind the thread is one to three years old, too, and might be don't nobody recall what tile they were settin' back then.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #13
nerdman

tile type

The tile that tool guy posted, it looks like in 2006, I guess they probably don't make it anymore
Old 07-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #14
Skye

Yes, they do make that same ceramic tile that looks like wood planks. I was just today, at a tile store that had them. And they had them from two different companies. One offered them in 5.5 inch widths and the other company, was like the one in the picture at the top of this thread....about 7 or 8 inches wide, and 26 in. or so long, then they also had a more narrow width. I will go back to the store write down the name of the company that makes them!
Skye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I recently did a whole house with the product and didn't grout it at all. The people loved it and it looked like a wood floor. The tile was butted up against each other and you COULD use an unsanded grout if you want. I should add that I convinced them NOT to use the longer pieces as it DOED present lippage problems. I was trying to find the thread with pictures, but couldn't. Meybe a Mod can come up with it for me?

Avanti Tile & Stone

“Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com