Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 09-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
billtcat

wet-mortar on dry-mortar adherence?

Hi! i appreciate any concise feedback, please! I've done normal tile, but this might be a little odd... FLOOR-TILE... the floor's a little off-level, but instead of the self-levelling stuff, I just want to use a little mortar to level the parts that need it...
So, will the fresh wet-mortar adhere normally to the level, dry-mortar? obviously, I'll clean it and everything, but I just want to be sure...
thanks much...
billtcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

Thinset sticks to thinset. Just don't make the layers too deep, typically no more than 1/4" in one layer unless using a mediumset mortar. Let it cure overnight before you start to lay down tile in a new bed of thinset.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Bill! ...is your username as in "Bill the Cat"?

If you are asking if you can use thinset to prepare a floor by filling in some of the low spot, yes.......but it has its limits. Jim mentioned something that I don't entirely agree with:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashua
Let it cure overnight before you start to lay down tile in a new bed of thinset.
I would wait longer before tiling over thinset that was used the day before to prep.

Let's first find out how out of whack your floor is. Grab the longest straight-edge you have. Lay it on the floor and check the floor in many different areas. Now tell us how long the straight-edge is and how big the gaps are under the straight-edge. Is this a slab or joist floor construction?

What kind of tile are you considering?

“The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly.”
-Abraham Lincoln
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
billtcat

poster

thanks much, guys...you've both been quite informative... yeah, my name's as in 'bill the cat' from Opus Penguin, et al.

my floor's just over a 1/4" out of whack, so it'll be managable. I REALLY appreciate the quick responses... fantastic. See, I probably wouldn't have let it cure that long, VERY good to know, I hate shoddy work.
billtcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com