Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 08-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
Redwald

Thinset dries too fast

Maybe I've gotten too old and slow but the thinset I'm using for my marble shower walls (on CBU) is drying in the bucket before I get it on the walls/tiles. Here is a picture of the stuff that was recommended.
I tiled both of my bathrooms about 10 years ago with regular thinset and don't remember having this problem. I'm not using green, white or black marble. Its a kind of rose color.
Is this stuff that I'm trying to use made to dry fast? Can I use the old fashioned slow cure stuff or will that not be acceptable for marble? What does everyone recommend for a slow worker like myself?
Attached Images

Redwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2006, 12:15 PM   #2
Mike2

Red, pot life should be close to 2 hrs. with that mortar . How much time are you getting? And to what consistency are you mixing it?

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
LGB
Tile Contractor -- Pennsylvania

You must let it sit for 10 minutes and then remix it.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
LGB
Tile Contractor -- Pennsylvania

You must let it sit for 10 minutes and then remix it. Don't add any water when you remix...
Old 08-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
Redwald

Thanks for replying, guys.

What do you mean by "remix". I don't see anything on the box about that.

Just to let you know what I'm doing...I'm not mixing the entire box, only about 1/3 of it at a time because I'm just gonna do the first row today. The box says 1-1/2 quarts (48 oz) of water for the whole box which translates to 16oz for 1/3 of a box. I had to use more water than that because it is stilly powdery and wont get a toothpaste consistancy with just 16oz of water. I did the first 2 squares and then when I put the trowel back in the bucket it was already set up and no longer creamy and it also had lumps in it.

So...is there a thinset for marble that will stay creamy longer that I can use?
Old 08-06-2006, 02:31 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

I used that stuff, and correctly mixed, I got probably 1.5-2 hours out of it. To mix the stuff, you need to add the powder to the water. It really helps to use a drill with a mixing paddle. Trying to do it with a trowel is possible, but tough. Once you get it all mixed up, the instructions say to let it slake, or sit for about ten minutes, then remix. That gives the stuff a chance to absorb all of the water, then mixing again should produce a nice smooth mixture. If it starts to get stiff, you can remix probably at least once before you have to throw the stuff away.

A really dry and hot location could make the stuff start to cure faster.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:39 PM   #7
Redwald

OK...maybe I just got a bad batch. I took it back and replaced it with Custom's Porcelain Tile Fortified Thinset. I got over an hour of working time in the bucket. It dries slow enough so I have time to adjust the enitre course of tiles for lippage and spacing before they set up.
Thanks for all the replies.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:58 AM   #8
Mike2

It's possible you got a bad batch or perhaps it was really this product with nearly identical packaging. OptiCure is a rapid set with 20 - 30 minutes of working time and specifically formulated for moisture sensitive stone.
Attached Images

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com