Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-27-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
AnnP

Question Granite tile counter:Poly Adhesive for grout?!

I am installing a granite tile bathroom vanity top with 3 1/2 backsplash. I've done tiling, but never granite. I would prefer to butt the joints.

After reading various sites about grouting the granite, I'vs seen the use of epoxy grout and non-sanded grout. But our local DIY store recommended Liquid Nails Poly Adhesive for grout - at least I'm pretty sure they did. My husband was sent on this mission to purchase epoxy, and they recommended this product - but they were out, so husband went to the other store and came home with this poly adhesive.

So could this be possible that we can use this instead of epoxy grout? If so, do I apply this while laying the tile vs. after the mastic dries as they told him to do? It just doesn't sound right to me.
AnnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Ann,please reassure me you're not laying granite with mastic.This will not work, it will fail,mastic is the worst for stone.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
GraniteGirl
Ms. Makita

Send a message via Yahoo to GraniteGirl
Butting the stone is not a good idea either. It will give no room for the grout to grab hold. The result will be flaky grout popping out of the joints. The tiles are not 100% square either and you will do well with at least a 1/32"-1/16" joint.

www.IslandSoapstone.com

Relax - it's a rock! What could go wrong?!

GraniteGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:30 PM   #4
AnnP

Using thin-set, not mastic. Sorry. Wrong word popped out of my keyboard...
Old 06-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
jdm

You don't want to use Liquid Nails anything for grout. And don't you want to choose a grout color?

If you have a Lowe'st nearby, go there and buy some Laticrete SpectraLock grout. Make sure you get both the epoxy components in the bucket and the color component in the milk carton.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
AnnP

Update and new question

Thanks for the Specralock info. I am looking forward to using it in the next day or two after the Versabond cures. And since the opinions on whether to seal granite before or after epoxy grout, I am planning to one layer or sealing before epoxy, and then doing another layer or 2 as needed after the epoxy grout. Good compromise, or ignorance?

In the mean time, I have been patiently watching grout dry on the floor portion of the project.

So my new issue is this: I laid porcelain 13x13 tiles on the floor. Then, I used Versabond to attach 4x4 slate tiles to the wall for the baseboard. I have used sanded grout between slate and slate on the wall, and between the slate baseboards and porcelain floor tiles. The Versabond is visible on the top of the slate tiles against the walls, where I smoothed it during application, and I really like the color and stone look it gives. Adds nicely to the ambience of the bathroom I'm trying to create.

1) Is there any problem with just sealing the exposed Versabond like I'm doing with the grout and leaving it exposed?

2) Do I need to caulk anywhere, or will the Versabond/grout combo keep out the evil water?

Thanks-This site has been very helpful. I tried to attach photos, but I don't know how to reduce the MBs.. Sorry! Anyway, it's really nice looking, and I've very proud of myself..! .. (so I don't want to ruin it)
Ann
Old 07-12-2006, 09:16 PM   #7
DonB

You should test your granite to ensure it needs sealing. Many don't and if you put sealer on those types, it's a mistake.

Don
DonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:57 AM   #8
AnnP

Thanks, Don.

I have and it does. I tried the sealer (3 applications) on a scrap piece to check the outcome, and it worked and looked great.

So would doing one layer of sealer before epoxy grout help with the clean up of the grout process, or should I just wait and seal it after grout? I'm afraid that if I seal it completly first, the epoxy won't hold as well.

If I do seal after grouting, the sealer won't affect the epoxy at all, will it?

Ann
Old 07-13-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
DonB

Ann,

I can't really tell you anything definitively because I've never been in your particular situation. In all cases, testing will provide you more accurate answers.

I've never used granite that required sealing but since yours does, I think it a good idea to seal before grouting. If your granite absorbs epoxy, it may be there forever and the appearance may be vastly different from the effect you desire.

I always seal slate before grouting with epoxy and cleanup is a breeze. I'm sure I've gotten sealer in the joints prior to grouting and my best guess is it don't really affect the epoxy bond. SpectraLock is very tenacious stuff that will stick to just about anything. I know that a very thin skim coat wll adhere to silicone caulk quite reliably. I wouldn't worry about it but would try to be precise in sealer application.

I don't have an accurate answer for your last question but it's something I've also wondered about myself. It's also somethng I've never bothered testing. My educated guess is sealer will not affect epoxy grout in the slightest as long as you don't let it dry to a film. Even if you're using a color enhancing sealer, I don't think it should matter as long as you don't let it dry. Regardless, this is something you will have to deal with for the life of your installation since your granite will require periodic re-sealing.

Don
DonB is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com