Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Old 09-02-2001, 08:41 PM   #91
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

I can empathisize with D&J's plight. I tried to emigrate to Australia just a few years back, and ran into the same thing. I finally found a coroporate who was willing to sponsor me, given that I had talents her corp could use but could not hire locally (after a year's waiting period to find a local employee). Then about the time the papers were ready I got rejected because I was two month too old.

Their cut-off is 45 years of age. Of course I was 45 when I applied, but... hey... it's their loss. I was just looking to be able to spend a few years there in their environ, absorbing it all and be able to support myself working in the while. Now all it takes is for me to deposit $750K in an OZ bank and call myself some kind of business interest, catalogue it with the nationals, and there you go. Sad thing is my millions are tied up in my own current US interests (mortgage, college, phone, utilities, etc...).
Old 09-03-2001, 05:04 PM   #92
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hey Sonnie,

Is that $750K American or Australian. The Aussie dollar is worth about half as much as ours is. If it's Aussie, I can probably let you have it. I'll just send it along when I mail you your mug, okay buddy?

Here's my real reason for my being here. Being it's Labor Day and a little slow around here I took a hike up to Ontario and checked Harry's board. Found a little chat between Harry, Ron and Bri and subsequently found a picture of Harry (he was actually doing some work.)

Anyway, I stole the pic (not a great photo), cut it down a little and posted it to my site so that I could put it here. I sure hope Harry agrees to give permission or I could be in real trouble.

Here's Harry Dunbar, Ontario Tile Setter. He's got some other pics on his home page of the job he was doing which is quite nice. http://www.ontariotile.com/index.html

I can't believe he's got a Home Depot bucket. Couldn't you have hidden it before the picture was snapped, Harry? Come on, man, have some class!

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 06:58 PM   #93
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I'm only posting here so that this thing doesn't end up getting timed out. Guess no one has any smart remarks to make about Harry's picture. I know it's not a good one, but it's the best one he had that I could steal!
Old 09-06-2001, 07:52 PM   #94
Harry
Ontario Tile Setter

I have no idea how that bucket got there, it must be my helper's .... I'll fire him first thing tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:55 AM   #95
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Maybe with that short sword ol' Harry's got he could be ol' Zorro's sidekick.

'Cept I don't remember the real Zorro having a side kick. What the hell, we can make one up if'n we want to.

Harry, I gotta know. Did you PAY for the bucket at HD? I hate it when they alla time axe me, "do you want the bucket too" when I dump a buncha stuff on the counter. "Oh, yeah", I always say, "I wanna pay y'all to carry your sign around for ya".

Most times I try to remember to bring nice nasty grout bucket with to pewt my stuff in. Then I axe them do they wanna buy MY bucket. tehe
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 05:20 PM   #96
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I have been distracted by the sorrowful events of the past few days, but I don't want the album to be burried along with the fallen.

Therefore, I'm still waiting for the pics of those who have not submitted.

And I think I mentioned before that Home Depot now sells plain white buckets (no logo) for the same price as the one Harry got caught with in the picture. Go stealth, guys.
Old 09-15-2001, 12:06 PM   #97
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

would you believe I throw away more five gallon buckets than I use?

I mean, when I was living by the lake and married and all, I filled them sometimes with cement as anchors. other times I'd fill them with maze and go catch a boat load of catfish. But nowdays I just put 'em on the curb and someone will pick em up. Now...when I go to mixing grout or thinset, I prefer the shorter squatty three gallon guys. Easier to get your trowel in and out without getting the stuff all over ya as they are larger in diameter. I keep those.

thanks for keeping it alive, JP. Being the forum's poet, I feel it my duty to post something relavent to the recent events here, but my emotions are getting in the way right now. I'll come across with something shortly.
Old 09-18-2001, 06:00 PM   #98
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Sonnie,

Wash out and save all those buckets. You can sell them for three dollars alongside the road on your slack days.

Really, I just want to keep this post where everybody can see it. Everybody, that is, who is still remiss in kicking in a photo.
Old 09-18-2001, 06:16 PM   #99
cx

Sonnie:

I, too, like sometimes those 3 gal. buckets. You can buy paint in 3s?
Old 09-20-2001, 06:23 PM   #100
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Okay, enough of this bucket talk. I won't be distracted (at least, not here). The last picture in this album I had to steal (Harry caught with the Home Depot bucket). I think it's high time (beyond high time) that others, who shall remain nameless at present, get a damn picture in here!

John (can't believe I said that) Bridge.
Old 09-20-2001, 07:01 PM   #101
cx

Not enough about buckets 'till Sonnie answers about do he get paint in 3s. Please, sir?

An about them pichers, you mean like nameless JC and nameless flatfloor and nameless Brian, and like that there? Is that kinda like what you mean? If so, how come you don't go ahead and name'em?

That's what I'd do.
Old 09-21-2001, 09:11 AM   #102
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Talking

It's a technical glitch....in my brain, it will happen!

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 09:27 AM   #103
Ron
Tile Contractor

Smile

Hi John,

I suppose that most of the guys here don't have the vanity of fashion models to make posting their photos a priority.I,on the other hand,am quite a stunning example of masculinity and ....O.K...maybe not,I just haven't figured out how to use the digital camera yet.

I am decidedly low tech and camera shy so please allow me some more time to send a pic.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 10:56 PM   #104
cx

Hmmmm. AP sends in a picture of Chip?

Hmmmm.

I also find it interesting that Chip looks exactly like a red X in a tiny little box.

Hmmmmm.

I think I'm confused again.

Oops, now he looks like TWO red Xs in tiny little boxes.
Old 09-27-2001, 11:02 PM   #105
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

"NEWS FLASH"

Finally from the AP Wire (Art Phenis that is) the picture we have all been waiting for.

H-e-e-e-r-r-r-r-e's CHIP

"Oh great"! Which one's CHIP???
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase