Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Old 07-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
lati_cz
michal

skylight question

I need to frame in few hand operable skylights on sloped ceiling, skylight size 2 x 4.
Is there any "standard" height, where to install skylight?
Clients are on vacation and they told me "we trust your judgement"....
Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Moderator

No real 'standards' i'm aware of, but we install them lower on the roof when they want more direct light within the room, higher if they want less. We also try to flare out the framing on the interior side if possible. A lot may depend on angles of roof & sun, season, what any direct light will hit on the inside, etc... Another concern with clear glazing may be locating them so folks can't see in from, say, a neighbors house.

Generally, I like to put them lower on the roof, often just up roof from a wall.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
cpad007
hack of some trades

In our vaulted ceiling area, we simply centered them on the ceiling because that is what the wife thought looked best.

Before we settled on the size of the skylight, I made cardboard cutouts and taped them to the ceiling. Our first size looked way too small but going with the next size, it looked right.

I hadn't thought about the direction the house faces and where or how much light might come in. All we knew was we need more light in this area. We have shades that we can remote operate to control the amount of light.

DIYer-us Extrem-us Non-Pro-us

Chris' Orange Tile Project
cpad007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase