Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-31-2006, 10:17 AM   #1
cmac2012

Admix in grout?

I did a job a while back (I'm primarily a finish carpenter, but by accident I stumbled into tiling and I keep getting jobs) putting dark granite tiles on a bathroom floor, the lady had bought some dark gray grout. I used the admix, the milky looking stuff, as I was under the impression it was recommended. The grout dried with a distinct milky, slightly whitish tinge to the color. She didn't complain too much, didn't ruin the job, but she did notice it.

I'm just finishing a kitchen backsplash of 1/2 inch black granite squares mosaic (oh man, kind of a PITA) and she has some reddish brown grout. I don't want any complaints on this one -- the money's good and they have lots of friends with $$ who remodel.

Any pros/cons to not using the admix?
cmac2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
bbcamp

Product names would be useful.

In general, if you are using a modified grout, and the modifiers are already in it, don't add more.

There is a phenomona called "latex migration" that may be your problem. I believe it can be fixed by scrubbing the grout with ammonia. Don't try this until one of the pros somes along and verifies it.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

have you tried grout haze remover? or is it in the grout?
Old 05-31-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
Zaritile

bob, do you think a epoxy grout would be good in this instance? I try to stay away from granite.
Zaritile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:00 PM   #5
jspinoza

whats the best/easiest way to seal grout?

I have the aquaseal? gold sealer ($95 a gallon) and was wondering how I might apply it. Its a tub surround, tiled with Elliane, made in brazil. Ive read here that the tiles are most likely non porouse, and shouldnt be sealed. and the grout is polymer modified, and maybe i dont want to use acrylic admix in it. so basically im just sealing the grout after it cures, and the travertine shelves, right? would it hurt to use grout admix? what happens if you put sealer in the grout as you mix it? and finally, whats the best way to apply grout sealer on wall tile? I was thinking about the little bottle with the wheel on the end, followed by a rag to remove sealer from the tile.
ps-owner doesnt care about discoloration, primary concern is longevity
Old 05-31-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Oldrem

Send a message via Yahoo to Oldrem
I used the AquaMix Sealers Choice Gold on my floor and walls Jake. The roller applicator was useless on the walls - just wanted to drip it all over. I finally "painted" it on with a small brush - worked great, albeit slow.

Lifetime DIYer, Cowboy Action shooter, Gun collector

http://www.computer-adventure.com
Oldrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
cmac2012

Hey, good feedback. I attached a couple of roughly 4" x 4" squares of the stuff to a piece of plywood yesterday -- I'm going to put grout with and without the admix on them to see what happens.

I'm inclined at this point to go without it. I mean, people got along without it for years, didn't they?

I'll try ammonia on the test piece and look for some haze remover as well.

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
jdm

If the grout is already modified (as most are) do not add latex admix to it. More is not better.

And do not add the sealer to the grout when mixiing it. If a sealer that could be used this way available, everyone would be using it.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #9
jspinoza

I guess your right jeff

I was going to add acrylic, not latex to my grout.

Just because nobody has tried or condoned a sealer additive to grout mixing, doesnt mean its not possible or doesnt exist. I want to hear from the chemist on this one, he has an excellent article here on the chemistry of sealers.

Think back 10-15 years when the showers were just greenboard and mastic. If I tried to apply coolseal or drylock prior to tiling, people might think i was going overboard. I definitely wasn't paid to do this just 8 years ago, in new construction, $1.50 a foot for showers. all I was instructed to do was use thinset on the bottom two rows. I suppose they might get an extra 5-10 years from that move alone.

Just the other day I went to pick up an order at the tile store for a customer, and the girl hands me a pail of mastic. It was allready on the ticket, she assumed thats what we would use. "no way" I said, and she almost gave me lecture about "thats whats recommended, and thats what she uses, and its on the wall isnt it?" I just shook my head and said "multipurpose please". when I go back, I plan to tell her about this site, and the problems with mastic in wet areas, and to recommend better products to customers and tile setters.

My point is just thinking about quality and what might be an improvement, is usually better than business as usual. but i understand you cant experiment when a customer's job and your reputation is at stake.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:10 PM   #10
ChuckD

cmac2012,

Did you finish your test pieces? With and without Admix which looked the best colour wise etc..??

-Chuck
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #11
cmac2012

Whoops! I could have sworn I'd make it over there today. Trying to put in a huge (and $$$) front door for a buddy in time for his open house (green builders tour -- he's using mucho reused redwood and solar roof water panels). It'll be a couple of days, but I'll report back.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:54 AM   #12
cmac2012

The deed is done. Deposited the check and everything. The admix is "Custom Building Products -- thinest mortar admix -- a liquid polymer designed to be used in place of water." It's the only product of this type of seen, but I'm something of a newbie -- 6 tile jobs only -- 20 years of carpentry though, mostly finish in the last 10 years.

The next part is in the "DOHH!!" category. All the grouts I've used in the past recommended the admix but I tried my little comparitive samples before I just happened to note on the label that water only was what this product desired. Oh well -- my two test samples looked identical.

I wish I had tried this with the dark grey grout on the job where it looked milky. Next time I'm at her house, I'll see if I can "borrow" a couple of cups of leftover grout and try a test just for my embellishment.

This grout was a letdown for me. It was a reddish brown -- too reddish for my taste. That's one reason I did the test piece, hoping my client would see the error of her ways. She thought it would bring out the bits of red in the black granite mosaic. Swamped it is more like it. Looks like strawberry chocalate chip ice cream. They've got a big granite countertop that is black with red highlights so there is a bit of continuity but I think a light grey would have been better.

Note to self: save all your old grouts and do samples of about 8 colors in the future. Some people need to be saved from their bad taste.

I'll try to post pictures of it when I get them -- speaking of which, is posting URLs to photobucket and the like allowed here?

Whoops. Guess not. I just tried it. I keep reading guys saying something about posting pics. Seems like an URL to a photobucket-like site involves a lot less disk space for the hoster of the forum but there's a lot I don't know.

Last edited by cmac2012; 06-09-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:04 AM   #13
jspinoza

Question url links to photos not working here?

that is a disappointment, especially when the process of reducing files to be accpeted here can be a little tricky at first. url links should be allowed on any forum. Are you sure it doesnt work here?
Old 06-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #14
cmac2012

I hit the little mountain icon on top and put in the URL to a photobucket pic of mine and I got the message that an URL was in my post; please remove it.

I dunno, works pretty good over on the Mercedes Shop forum where I spend a lot of time. I imagine there's a good reason for it.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com