Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-13-2002, 06:17 PM   #1
Karen

Question

We recently had to rip out the wood floor in our kitchen due to a water leak. I'm now considering installing tile (myself) instead of replacing the wood (my only concern being the hardness of tile - less comfortable to stand on for long periods while cooking...). I've gathered a lot of information from your site already (thanks!) but have a few questions (and may have a few more once I get started).

1. The toe kicks for the kitchen cabinets are currently removed (as part of the drying out process). Should I tile before replacing these (and just tile all the way to the cabinet supports? Or, should I get the toe kicks replaced, tile up to them, and cover the edge with a quarter round?

2. I'm planning on replacing the wood in the adjoining room and will therefore need to transition between the two. I was told to put in the tile first. Is there a specific way I should finish and/or leave the edge of the tile that will meet the wood?

Thanks!
Karen
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2002, 07:35 PM   #2
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Hi Karen,

Take a look at this thread all ready for you!

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/show...?threadid=3635

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 12:51 AM   #3
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

Karen... welcome to this wonderful site.

It's wonderful primarily because I haunt it, but there are some other really nice qualities lurking about as well...

That thread that flatfloor pointed you to is helpful, but I'd have to ask if your toe kicks have been wet enough that they have to be replaced at this point?

Secondly, if you have someone on site that can rip them down to the new required width, I'd do that. Ideally there is no problem with putting down shoe moulding and leaving the toekick in place. Now that the toekick is already removed, there would likely be no savings in $. Something to ask you tile installer. I prefer to do the floor-trim work as I tile. That way, I make the call as to what's going to look best and satisfy you most.

And...if you have further questions, please drop back in. Some of us have nothing better to do than play with the keyboard or watch B-movies or cook, or ohhhh,, hhh, I should be working on that last sonnet... anyway, welcome again!

Sonnie
Sonnie Layne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 09:36 AM   #4
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

Karen:

Toe-kick is just another name for baseboard that goes under the cabinets, and we always try to hold our baseboard off until tile (or any flooring, save carpet) is laid. The only exception would be for a floor that's really wavy, because it's sometimes difficult to scribe the kick material under the toe space. In that case, some shoe mould is in order.

It is always easier to use shoe or quarter-round after the flooring is down, if you don't mind the look. I've actually had customers who wanted shoe mould everywhere in the house, on new construction. It's a "yes ma'am" kinda situation, there.

On the transition to wood floor, we seldom come out exactly even vertically on the two coverings, so a transition of some sort is usually in order. I always make a wood transition piece to match or compliment the wood flooring, in a tile/wood meeting. You can just leave a reasonably straight edge where you end your tile, and the ending place depends upon the doorway: does it have a door, which way does it open, is it a sliding door, etc? I prefer there be at least a couple inches between the two floorings to set the transition piece if possible, but there are other ways.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com