Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Old 04-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #1
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
Ok another one of dumb ideas

Okay 2.

1------- Why dont they have a place where you can recycle durock?? I am trying to finsh up a job rite now. Had about 200 lbs of scrap left over. cant they make a place where they crush it and reuse it??

2-------- Another dumb one. Why cant you install styrofoam on shower walls and then tile to it? It doesnt rott. They use it on the exterior of buildings why not a shower??? they make a styro pan by schulter> good idea or i am just to wacked.
opiethetileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

You're just ahead of your time is all...i don't have an answer to any of that,but i have seen styrofoam as an insulation backer,behind the cbu,against the block wall, in a shower..it was full of mildew though.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
opiethetileman

Location: in a closet with a pail of hydroban and a pail of spectraLock waiting to get out.
I am always ahead of everything dave. Why couldnt they make a styro wall like the exterior ones. then fill it up with concrete???? I just get tired of throwing money away.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
Gary K
Vendor

Opie,

I am with you I am tired of lugging scraps of cbu around thinking that if I throw that scrap piece away I will need it tomorrow.

I probably have 10 sheets in scraps at the house now, luckily I can store it.

Gary

Gary K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
opiethetileman

I know they just need to make a thing wher it can be crushed and reused. The next project I have after my little time off. Has 2 full pallets going in it.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
jdm

Isn't Wedi a foam core with a waterproof membrane on either side?

And I think that the problem with your CBU recycling is that the cost to ship the scraps back to the manufacturer is more than the value of the material.

Can CBU scraps substitute for clay pigeons?

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
Jeremy

The core of Wedi IS the waterproof part. The coating is cementicious based to aid in tile adhesion. So me thinks...
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Opie,
Learn to float all your work and your waste production will drop significantly. Well, at least the left over materials won't be such a large load.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #9
opiethetileman

Yeah well i get some time off very soon a few weeks by the docs orders. i am going to do some test with some things. One thing i want to try is how much durock it takes to stop a bullet how many 1/2 sheets. Or different tile how many boxes it takes to stop a bullet. But I do want to build a shower out of foam a 3x3 and test it out.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Opie,
I gotta say that all your goings-on about guns, shootin stuff, and postal uniforms has had me wonder from time to time if the folks over at Homeland Security might not have a little file with your name on it??? Have you ever thought about that as well?
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #11
opiethetileman

That is my famous pharse going postal. i am very safe with firearms trust me. They meet me in orlando man u werent there. The only file that has my name it is my wife shes makes do what ever she wants.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:32 AM   #12
dufus

ballistics

So, Dan, are you into ballistics or just shooting things? I grew up in a family where every day there seemed to be a new test of what cartridge with what powder with what bullet could have the flattest trajectory, highest velocity, the best mushrooming or the best puncture. I'd wake up to gunfire in the garage and the neighbors just got used to it. There was no point complaining to my dad, he's the one with all the guns! He'd have some new test of some new necked-down cartridge with a different type of powder and some new jacketed bullet. He'd fire the test through the chronograph and then into some big old stump. For punishment of doing some stupid teenage thing, he'd have me dig the slugs out of the stump so he could remelt the lead and make new bullets.

When high-power got to be no challenge (25 cal. bullets on 30 cal. cartridges), he switched to black powder. His forte was distance and accuracy with special slugs, powder, and wads. He'd make his own guns (over 100 and counting) specially for accuracy.

Then, we built a cannon out of 4" solid stainless steel stock. We'd take it to the High Uintah mountains in Utah and practice. Ever see a 2" cannon ball fly through the air and hit something about a mile away? It's great! Even better when you learn how to do exploding ordinance!

Now there's an appropriate use for your excess Durock. Cannon targets. Put some excess Kerdi on there (you could probably see that orange stuff from Cleveland) and go for it.

Okay, enough reminiscing. Sometimes you just got to shoot something.
Have at it - glad you know how to be safe.

Er, wait a minute. Aren't you the guy who keeps cutting off his digits? Are you sure you know how to be safe with firearms - or is it just tools that give you problems?

Just kidding - kind of....

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei
dufus is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase