Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Old 04-20-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
Skaggydog

No habla Español, no trabajo aquí

We are starting to hear this in the Southwest now. It's hard to believe that you can be refused a job because you do not speak Spanish, but they say it is a safety matter. Anyone heard of this going to court yet?
Skaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

That's BS,it's a movement .I've been warning of this for a long time, and some here called me an alarmist..the worst is yet to come.I could post a few articles from our local news,but i'll wait till others catch on.They're backlashing against co....they think,but all they're doing is trying to keep you out of the workplace.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Tiledog

I am not a bigot but ladies and gents WE ARE GOING TO LOSE OUR COUNTRY if we dont stand up and fight this onslot of illegel imigration this is just the beggining.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hello Skaggydog,
I have some doubts about reports such as this. I know that there are deffinately language issues on most job-sites here in the West and in the Southwest but such a stance doesn't make business sense. Typically, I'll be on a job-site with about 200 tradesmen and of those about 20 are native English speakers. It's a very real problem, especially when you've got Michoacanos on the job, who nearly every Mexican I've talked to think are in-bred macho hillbillies spoiling for a fight.
But I think that your report is more likely an urban-legend more than it is a current trend. Of course, things like this could grow into an actual movement just like Women's Sufferage and that whole Reformation thingey? Who knows??
Shaughnn

Last edited by Shaughnn; 04-20-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:08 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Here's what happens when you rally in Mexico....http://www.vdare.com/awall/expulsion.htm

Old 04-20-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Ed,
We've been importing illeagal labor from Mexico for more than 80 years, this is nothing new except that it's scope has expanded to affect middle-America. President Reagan unlocked the floodgates with his famous/infamous policy change and about the only way we are going to get the genie back into the bottle is by using American tax dollars to improve the living and employment conditions on the other side of the Rio Grande. People need to feed their families and will go to any length to provide a better life for their children than they had for themselves. It's a law of human behavior. They come here because their own nation is ethically bankrupt and has been plundered for far too long by it's own elite so that now that corruption is as much a part of the national identity as it is a scourge upon it's people. You want to protect American jobs? Stop shopping at Wal-Mart. Stop buying products which have American brand-names but are produced in third-world nations under deplorable conditions. Insist from your legislators that employers be held accountable for giving employment to illegal migrant workers and get used to paying a noticeable amount more for your green vegetables and vine ripened fruit. While you are at it, let's also tack on a little bit to the cost of every new home since you'll have to actually pay Americans a living wage instead of relying on undocumented workers to frame them, roof them, paint them, and even tile them.
The problem isn't that they come here looking for a better life. The problem is that OUR own hypocracy has made us fat off of their sweat and we just can't stomach the pain of kicking that sort of habit.
Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not an advocate of illegal immigration. I'd like to see anyone caught coming into this country without following protocol to be tagged with a felony and that felony would then prohibit them from EVER becoming an American citizen. As well, I'd like for that felony to disqualify their children from entitlement to citizenship, if they are born here while their parents we commiting that felony. And while I'm at it, let's also confiscate as ill-gotten gains any real property which has been accumulated while commiting that felony. Houses, cars, clothing, etc. All of it becomes eBay fodder to supplement the United States government's insane defecit. We don't need concrete barriers, razor wire, surveilance cameras or even ultrasound detection equipment for finding tunnels. All we need are laws and men and women who will enforce them instead of looking at the demographics and seeing the Latino vote as invaluable in 2012. Anyone know where we can find a nut-case like that?
Shaughnn
Old 04-20-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

Don't be an illegal alien in Mexico...http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/...s-shoot18.html

Old 04-20-2006, 09:35 PM   #8
EEEO
General (Tile) Contractor

Well said Shaughnn!
Old 04-21-2006, 06:50 AM   #9
FireWrks7

This all sounds like xenophobia to me. The immigration problem is more than Mexicans crossing the border.

Other Latin American groups are also coming up because their countries have been crushed by US backed civil wars. Does Iran-Contra ring a bell? And its not just a country's elite drive these things. Anybody care to explain why we have the term bannana republic? Think Dole and El Monte. In Mexico, American robber barons of yore also did a number there.

But back to point. Here in LA there is a sizable Southeast Asian community which didn't come over with the Boat People. They work in a variety of industries which include the sweat shops of the garment industry. Not to mention in the evening professions, drugs, and gangs. iirc, some of these folks are also running around in MN and Mass stiring things up.

But there are other groups which easily blend in, like British and Black folk. The guy who crashed a Ferrari in Malibu a couple of months ago as a DUI doing 160+, while he owns a mansion and was a CEO of some game company, is an illegal with a long rap sheet in Sweden. The stolen million$ seem to make it okay for him, a convicted felon, to be here.

Lots of illeglas are here because of expired visas. Student or otherwise. Did y'all forget how the 9/11 terrorist were once legally here? They didn't cross over the border, they flew in. It is not just the southern border where people come in, illegals are crossing the Canandian border as well. Last week they caught 50 Indian and Pakistani illegal immigrants coming over. Now remember Bin Laden is hidding in Pakistan. Think of it, he could be here right now and no one would be the wiser.

How many know Boeing, who closed down its commercial production in Long Beach CA yesterday, makes jets in China? How many know Chinese and other Asian students come here and take spots in our top universities? Lots of these places are publically funded schools. But nevermind how these immigrants are taking technology back to their countries which supplants our own middle class. This country is not being lost to Latin illegals, it is being given to China on a silver plater.

Anthony
FireWrks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
John Corley

Very well said Shaughnn

we don't agree that often so I just wanted to take a moment and say on this one we do.

Are you still in S.F or are you in Washington now? just curious
Old 04-21-2006, 10:28 PM   #11
Oldrem

Send a message via Yahoo to Oldrem
Even up north here in the midwest - most jobs for mid-management are requiring bi-lingual before they'll even consider you. Really sucks inmo. And it goes back much further than Reagan. Bi-lingual employment posters were required by federal law as far back as Kennedy.

Lifetime DIYer, Cowboy Action shooter, Gun collector

http://www.computer-adventure.com
Oldrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:30 AM   #12
BeachTile

An Illegal in Mexico

From the looks of that article, the more the Mexicans can do away with, the fewer make it to our border. That's where they're headed anyhow!
BeachTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:56 AM   #13
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Thank you John,
I've long said that I'm not the Leftie that many have supposed me to be, based on my location of my willingness to see many facets of an issue. I'm glad that we've finally found some commonground.
Flying up to Seattle this morning to look at houses. Hope to be there in the very near future. Are you planning to join us for a July bar-b-que??
Shaughnn

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase