Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-16-2006, 08:22 AM   #1
gof

Exclamation One of those Oh Da** moments. Need advice (chipped a PAIR of tiles)

Oh, I know I shouldn't have been, but I did. No wait, "A friend of mine knew..." Aww, no one would believe that...

Ok, I was trying to get the tiny 1/16" rubber spacers out of some 12" porcelain tiles on my shower wall. Was having a bit of trouble on one that due to compression was pretty tight. Used a putty knife with a little assistance.... Bang, two surface chips on the joint, about 1/2" in diameter on BOTH sides. So now I've got two bad tiles near the bottom of a wall with CBU under it (durock). Options? I've thought of two.

1. Deal with it and somehow pry out the two bad tiles. I've got versabond with very good coverage behind it (probably near 100% seal due to tapping and leveling the wall). The thinset has been drying for about 2 weeks.

2. "Decorate the corner". I've used corner squares a few other places in the design. I could use a diamond bit in a demmel and make another square to fill in. This would handle the chip out but I'd have to make some additional cuts and squares in a few other places to balance the design.

HELP!
Old 04-16-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Jerry

How've you been? Still working on the project are you?

You're right on track. It depends how much work you want to do.

1. Replace them, and risk damaging the CBU and surrounding tiles, or

2. Add your decorative keys (some risk involved also).

There are epoxy/polyester touch up kits also, but that's an entirely different skillset.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:44 AM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I think I would experiment with the touch up kit John mentions. Play with scrap pieces until you get it close. Ask John where to get the kit, though. I don't know.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
gof

Hi John,

Doing well but crazy. New little one (boy) as of a week ago so things are typically crazy for our household.

What would be the "best" way to remove the two entire tiles? Or at least, how is it recommended? I can use a diamond blade to slice them up a bit, but I'll still have to get them off of the backer board. If I cut a smaller piece (the square), at least that will be a bit more reasonable in terms of repeated cutting. I just haven't run that option past SWMBO yet and in her current state I'd prefer to have everything nailed down before discussing options

I've attached a few photos. Two of the chip out, two of the current pattern in the floor of the bathroom (not the tiny shower), and one of the shower wall. The location of the chip is the second column from the left, second and third tile.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
DonB

For future reference: (B)lowes has a vastly improved spacer called Tavy Tile Spacers. They cost twice as much as the regular thingies but they are very cool and will eliminate problems like you are currently experiencing

I'd use a tiny diamond blade in a flexi-shaft to slice and dice those tiles to make for safer removal.

Don
DonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
gof

I think this is likely what I'll do. I've got a 4" diamond blade for my grinder which I'll use to score the middles, then use the finer tool to get near the edges. I think due to the size of the shower I'm going to eliminate the decoration anyway (it's only 30x39)
Old 04-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #7
JTG

Jerry
The grinder with a diamond blade is a good idea. Be real careful don't cut to deep and don't get to close to the edges so as not to damage the good tile next to the ones you are taking out.
After making the cuts I would strike the tile a few times with a hammer to break it up. I have found that the smaller pieces are less likely to take out large chunks of the Durock. If the floor gods are with you only the mesh will come off. If you get holes in the rock you can put drywall patches over them.
Good Luck
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase