Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 06-01-2006, 08:38 AM   #76
DonB

Good question Brian. I guess Nash is off-duty this week. I don't have an answer regarding shower water/soap scum. Considering the stuff loves water and after 24 hours you're supposed to scrub the installation for residue with a white scotchbrite and vinegar water, I suspect the spectralock is well past impervious at that point even though full stain resistance isn't achieved for around a week.

As for exposure to wate itself, you can pour vinegar water all over it 30 minutes after it's installed and it won't hurt the grout.

Don
DonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:33 AM   #77
geniescience

Surface dust and grit, embedded in epoxy grout.

Now I have a problem. I think the first epoxy grout I tried grabbed a lot of grit sand and dust when it was still not yet totally impervious. So the surface looks dirty, and up close I can see gunk sticking to it.

Seems to me that the sand used in this grout is sharp-edged sand which grabs dirt. Probably good for structural strength but that it not what I need here.

Does this mean that one should tape over filled grout joints if you are still working on the site?

The second epoxy grout I just tried, Mapei almond color, has sand that appears to be finer, soft and round. In many places I scraped a bit out of the grout line using the CBU scoring tool, and put some of the new grout on top of the first batch. It is sticking. Its thickness is about 1/8".

What can I do now, to get the remaining surfaces clean?

P.S. (Edit). I learned a lot from this thread. Thank you! I cut the large batch into two parts each time. I stored half of the mixed grout in the freezer each time. Perhaps I got complacent. Or, it is just this grout with sharp sand, and my not keeping a clean worksite. I will post in the Restoration Forum.

Last edited by geniescience; 06-04-2006 at 09:49 AM.
geniescience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:55 AM   #78
DonB

Man, I don't know David. I know the sand in Spectralock is very tiny and globular as compared to big, sharp and craggy like the sand in Polyblend when viewed under a microscope. Have you tried scrubbing the bejeezus outta it with a white scotchbrite and vinegar water?

Don
Old 06-04-2006, 10:42 AM   #79
sugarbeth

hmmm...this thread is intriguing! I was wondering how it would handle on a lumpy bumpy mosaic or relief tile. Since it would be hard to do a "squeegee"-like clean up on those. Any thoughts?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:19 PM   #80
DonB

Beth,

I think your biggest problem is you're gonna go through a lot more grout than you would if'n you used a smooth tile. If that's not an issue, after scraping hard with a very good quality epoxy float you could start hitting it fairly quickly using light circular motions without cleaning your sponge. This would get a lot of it off the tile while not goofing up your joints. After 45 minutes or so, once the lines firm up, you'd need to get pretty aggressive with the cleaning to clear the depressions. Definitely do TESTing before you commit to anything important.

I've used it a bunch on 6" tiles that have a lot of texture and fairly deep cushioned edges (Dal French Quarter Cobblestone) without any problems at all. The Barwalt floor float I use for this does a good job at cleaning this stuff.

Don
Old 07-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #81
CharlieM

Don,

Thank you for this thread. It would be nice if it could be committed to the liberry

A couple of weeks ago, I did a test board using Spectralock and based on your comments, stuck the pail in the freezer.

I needed to tile/grout a small 3x3 floor area yesterday and dragged it out of the freezer. It took some time for it to thaw enough to break it, but I was finally able to break off chunks. The consistency wasn't the "creaminess" of the original mix, but it was soft so I just stuffed and packed it into the joints with my fingers and scraped the tops with the float. About 40 minutes later, I dressed the joints with a slightly damp sponge (vinegar/water mix).

I thought, this is too easy - it will never work. I wouldn't want to do a large area this way, but it went pretty fast nevertheless. Due to the lack of creaminess, there wasn't any real film/haze created on the tile so cleaning wasn't an issue, but I did a lite wipe anyway. It didn't bother my fingers either.

I was worried about the change in consistency and 6 hrs later, I could still make a fingernail dent in it.

This morning however, it is set up hard, seems to be stuck well, and looks good. It is truly amazing stuff

I still wonder a bit whether the difference in consistency affects the bonding to the sides of the tiles. At this point, it is certainly bonded well to the top edges so I'll assume it is good to go.

In the future, I want to mix portions of batches, but would need to know how much the liquid parts weigh (minus the foil pack). I couldn't find that in any of your comments.

What are the weights of the liquid portions ?

Thanks again for posting your experiences with this stuff. Very helpful

Charlie
CharlieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #82
DonB

Hi Charlie,

The first little test batch I froze was open to air inside a freezer container. After a few weeks it started getting strange and after a month it was borderline and had to be stuffed pretty hard. My observations on using it in this condition were good. It still adhered as a very thin layer to existing grout to build up a low spot. Now I store it as airtight as possible and in a different freezer at -4F which preserves the original consistency much longer. I don't actually know how long but 2 weeks is certain. I checked some this morning that has been stored since 5/24 and it's way far from ideal but still usable. I'll use it as bottom stuffing in my next little project.

This grout is a real pleasure to use after cement grout. It doesn't bother my fingers either. When I work with regular grout, no matter how careful I am to keep it rinsed off my hands, they quickly develop a texture like sandpaper.

Full bags of A and B net out at 140 grams each. Same as Spectralock Pro.

Please don't give any credence to the info printed on the mini-unit tubs from Lowz which state A is 200 grams (0.2 kg) and B is 70 grams (0.07 kg). Nash, what's up with this? Is it a printing error on a specific run of buckets or an intentional bit of misinformation designed to dissuade us DIY types from mixing partials?

Don
Old 07-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #83
jdm

Don --

I have some 2-year-old SpectraLock (non-pro) buckets and some new ones for a project that is in progress. Both have the same weights for the liquid components that you quote.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #84
DonB

Thanks Jeff. I wonder what it's all about. Nobody at Laticrete ever gave me an answer. All they say is something like "That's an astute observation".

Don
Old 07-30-2006, 04:46 PM   #85
Russ Needs Help

Oh, I really love Spectralock

Finally did my kitchen floor job with Spectralock...worked like a dream.

Thanks DonB and everyone for the tips!

I was grouting 12 x 12 porcelain tile with a 3/16" gap...

How long does it take you guys to apply 1 mini-unit? It was taking me about an hour and fifteen minutes per mini-unit, but I'm just an amateur and I might be slow. I was afraid taking that long would make the clean-up tougher, so I put the Spectalock bucket inside a larger bucket with ice to keep it cool. I don't know if this was necessary, but I was grouting in a 80 degree room, so I thought it couldn't hurt.

I also had a question...how well does fresh Specralock adhere to already-cured Spectralock? If I go back 24 hours after an initial application and try to fill shallow dips in my grout lines, will the new stuff adhere to the old, or would it just flake off eventually?

Thanks again.

Russ
Russ Needs Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:02 PM   #86
Nash

Smile SpectraLOCK adhearing to itsself.

It's difficult for me to comment on this because I can't see the installation. Generally I will tell you that once cured SpectraLOCK does not adhear to itself very well. The reason why is because it is designed to repell things that want to stick to it.

It is possible that if you have less than 1/2 the depth of the grout joint it may flake out.

1 hour and 15 min is a bit on the long side, but it should not bother the grout.

Give me a call and I'll walk you through.

(203) 671-0057
Ron Nash
Laticrete International
Old 07-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #87
Russ Needs Help

It is possible that if you have less than 1/2 the depth of the grout joint it may flake out.

-- that answers my question. I was thinking of filling a couple of small, shallow depressions in the grout lines (gotta be less than 1/8" deep), but it sounds like I shouldn't bother.

By the way, an interesting anecdote for you Laticrete folks: when I was buying some extra cartons of the dry component (Part C?) a Lowes employee asked if I knew that I needed to buy the plastic tubs of the epoxy resin to go with the dry mix. When I assured her that I did, she said "Good, a customer the other day was upset because they tried mixing the Spectralock dry component with water, and it didn't work too well".

I can only imagine.

Thanks,
Russ
Old 07-30-2006, 08:19 PM   #88
Nash

Smile Sad, but true.

I don't work for the Lowes channel, but I can tell you that I've heard similar unfortunate stories.

I personally regrouted a shower for a very upset little old lady. I didn't have the heart to tell her to go take it up with Lowes.

Often times people don't get the chance to talk to a customer service rep there in the tile section.

If you don't read and follow the instructions you won't enjoy your experience.

Thanks for the business!

Ron Nash
Laticrete International Inc.
(203) 671-0057
rnash@laticrete.com
Old 07-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #89
DonB

Russ,

I've filled small depressions and low areas numerous times. No problems with it flaking out and after it's set, you can't scrub it out. The biggest difficulty is in feathering the new layer into the existing grout. Another problem is with roughness in the new stuff if it's thin because you can't really smooth it with a sponge.

Here's a good example. This is a picher of an area that's been filled due to a depression I managed to leave at and around the intersection. You can see the feather areas and the general roughness I left. The roughness is easy to fix with medium sandpaper if it bothers you. In this case, since it's slate, I didn't bother. To be perfectly honest, I never even noticed the little wads until until taking this macro picture and resizing it to post.

Don
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2006, 08:54 AM   #90
Russ Needs Help

grouting perfection

Don,

Your picture makes me smile because I think we're both pursuing a level of grouting perfection that you just couldn't get without the Spectralock.

I think we need to set up a photo album of our favorite grout lines.

Russ

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase