Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 04-12-2006, 08:53 AM   #1
ARANDAFLOORING
Oklahoma TileSetter

Tinting Grout

What do you guys recommend to darken a gray grout a shade or two. Im trying to match the grout of some existing gray. I got as close as i could but am still a shade off. It looks like the grout sealer probably darkened the existing gout a shade so im guessing i will be close just by sealing the grout. (I havnt sealed what i have done yet). When i wet the grout lines of the new grout it matches well. Any thoughts??? Should i try to tint it with something first and then seal. If so.....with what?? I know i have to make the call on site but i guess im more interested in what to use if i have to tint. thanks guys, Gabe
ARANDAFLOORING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #2
mastermarq

Talking

thats a scary one gabe.... we have had some success in the past with actual wood stains, followed by sealers, but, we have never tried to actually match an existing color. Good luck in your experiments..(and they say this isnt rocket science..BAH HUMBUG!) ... marq (try stone glamour from sparks, just keep it off the tile!)
mastermarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
cx
da Home-builder -- Moderator-at-Large

I've matched gray grout color on remodel by mixing various available grays from the grout line. Custom, in both cases. They have grays of sufficient variation that I had no trouble making what I needed. Lotsa little-bitty Dixie cups, big Dixie cups, popsicle sticks, and a heat gun. Takes a little time to get the mix right, but makes the customer smile to see the result.

A good impregnating sealer shouldn't be giving you any color change at all. An enhancing sealer should, but you'd wanna test that real well, too, including the 24-hour drying time. I'd try to get the grout color right instead, Gabe.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THISSY HERE! ......
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
claycarson
Commercial Cleaning and Maintenance

If you have permission, and if you want a really good match, stain BOTH using the same grout stain. We have used www.iafsystems.com and you can also use Final Results - Final Results Stain Order Page or www.groutdye.com

Trust me, if they are close already, this will make them about indistinguishable.

I would not do it in a shower, but some folks do.

Honesty in this situation calls for an explanation that they will need periodic reapplication for touch ups and to avoid using extremely strong strippers. But if you mark the color down, it can always be touched up or redone in future, so it can be a relatively permanent solution.

www.tileboston.com
claycarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com