Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
slb

Question Should I seal natural stone before grouting?

I'm just about ready to grout our new Kerdi shower, which is tiled in honed and filled travertine with tumbled marble for the floor and decorative border. Should I seal the stone before I grout? If so, are there any problem if sealer gets on the edges of the tile (i.e. into the grout joint)? Attached are a few pics showing the wall, niche and floor. We more or less copied the design from a display shower at a local tile store.
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Very nice job.

Yes, I would give it 2 coats of whatever sealer gives you the look you want, if some get's in the joints, no big deal, seal it all again a week after grouting.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
slb

Quote:
Very nice job.

Yes, I would give it 2 coats of whatever sealer gives you the look you want, if some get's in the joints, no big deal, seal it all again a week after grouting.
Thanks RD. I had fun tiling this shower, but I'd never be able to do this for a living, I'm too dang slow. It took me 2+ weekends to apply the Kerdi membrane and 7 weekends to do the tile.

The sealing is already getting complicated. We got a small sample bottle Stone Tech's Enhancer Pro and tried it on samples of the various stone. My wife really likes it on the dark stone, but doesn't want it on the lighter stone because it gives it a slight yellow tint. So now I'm grudgingly considering using Enhancer Pro on the dark stone, and Bullet Proof on the light stone. Problem is figuring out how to keep one or the other from running where I don't want it. Ugh!!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
slb

I went to a local tile store to pick up some Prism grout and mentioned that I was going to seal the stone before I grouted. They tried to talk me into using Aquamix Grout Release instead, it's supposedly cheaper than sealer, but I've got plenty of sealer. So now I'm a little confused. Should I use the grout release, or seal it before and after grouting? Is one way better than the other, or pretty much same results either way?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Steve,
You'll generally find that most pros use the same sealer before and after because it's simple (and one less bottle to lug around). You can use grout release, but most pros don't use it. I am of the type that use the same sealer before and after grouting.

By the way, the shower looks great.

Nothing is impossible if someone else has to do it.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 08:29 PM   #6
slb

Thanks Tool Guy (for the advice and compliment),
That's kinda what I thought.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com