Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-10-2006, 06:27 AM   #1
sophia449

under cabinet lights

I know this is a little off topic but I need help quickly and I dont know who else to ask. I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel, yesterday I had the electrician do the rough in. Today I have the sheetrock guy coming over to close the walls.
The electrician is going to come back and install under cabinet light. He left Romex wire for the lights. My question is, when the sheetrock guy comes in where do I tell him to leave a hole in the sheetrock for the wire to come through. Will he need the wire to go through the rear of the cabinet(cut a hole in the cabinet) and then down through the cabinet (cut there too), or does it go completely underneath the cabinet. I intend to tile the backsplash so I would imagine going through the cabinet is easier for tile installation. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
sophia449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2006, 06:48 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Sophia,

The best place is right under the cabinet. The wire comes out of the wall and is hidden by the light fixture itself. No wires running through the cabs. That's tacky.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:58 AM   #3
sophia449

under cabinet lights

Thanks John. If I go directly below the cabinet how do I go about tiling around the Romex? Wouldnt that look bad coming through the tile?
Old 03-10-2006, 07:04 AM   #4
bbcamp

Your cabinets may have a nailing strip underneath. The bottom is probably recessed, too. Run the wire through that strip so the light hides it.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Just be sure the wire comes through somewhere that the cabinet covers. It's easy enough to move it a little after sheetrock if you miss the location by a little. Actually, if you're fixin' to tile the splash, it'll be easy to move it there, too. Just get close.

Biggest consideration is to be sure you have it in the correct stud bay for where it needs to come out. Not as easy to move it past a stud later.

But it doesn't really matter. Sheetrock neanderthals gonna bury it anyway.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #6
sophia449

under cabinet lights

sheetrock is done....I dont know how to thank you guys enough. You guys came through when I needed.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
dpompian

Extra info

I agree with above advice. The wires should come through at the nailing strip below the box. The one thing I would check after the rockers have finished is the height off the FINISHED floor. I hang my cabs so the bottom of the nailing strip is at 54 to 55 inches from the finished floor. This means the wire will be just above this measurement by about 3/8" so it will be in the middle of the nail strip. The time to adjust the wires is now. When the light fixtures are mounted, you should not be able to see the Romex if you look under the cabinets.
Good Luck!
dpompian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
Jeff Q

Under counter lights

The romex can be run through the cabinets (hidden) or directly underneath (exposed). The question is, how do you want the finished product to look? Either way you need to know the exact height of the cabinets, then you can let the drywall people know where to leave the cable out, either just below the bottom of the cabinets, or just above the base shelf in the wall cabinet.
Jeff Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:59 PM   #9
chassis

Another vote for wire through nailing strip.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:19 PM   #10
rdtompki

The cabinets I had made for the kitchen had a stained veneer (1/4" ply) for each bottom. I used 3/4" lath to form a perimeter to which the veneer was screwed. Cut holes to fit the fluorescent fixtures and all was hidden.
rdtompki is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase