Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 03-05-2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Bellsfloors
Tile, Wood, Flooring Contractor

Customs LevelLite SLC

Has anyone used Customs LevelLite SLC? If so what did you think of the workability of it. I tried checking out the Orange Giant for the price and they didn't even know about it. I am wondering about the cost and availibilty of it. I have about 1500sf to cover in a Subway Sandwich shop in about a month.

Flooring-Tile-Waterproof Showers
www.AttentionToPerfection.com
Bellsfloors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Sorry not me.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

Never used it, prob. a good product, but I'm guessing it's real expensive

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Hey Tracy, i gave it a whirl with a 3 bag pour when it first came out. It was differant!!! pour ended up fine if thats what your looking for. It seemed a bit heavy(stiffer mix i mean) yet it settled fine. it was my one and only experience with it.
Is it Architect spec'd???
You'll likely make more money with the old tried and true. With a big pour you should be getting into the 19.80 to 21.30 per bag range cost.

Have fun, sure would love to..................WATCH!!!
Old 03-06-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

There you are! Hoped you'd show up.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
Old 03-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
JTG

That big of a pour I would be looking to sub it out to someone who had the equipment to mix and pump the material to the area you need it.
JTG

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #7
Bellsfloors

Thanks for the info Guys!

Hey Todd good to see ya still hanging around here. If your bored and also need to getaway from the Northern Cold, Kansas is feeling lot like spring now. 70+ F past several days. Could always use a Pro Critic to improve my skills

Todd I am looking at C-Cure LevelCure and have been priced out at about 26 a 50#bag. I was hoping for a bit less if possible but Distributers down here don't give much leeway to installers but give quite a break to dealers.

The floor that may get SLC has carpet stretched in over an existing glued down carpet which is installed on a paint layer also. The vacant building used to be a shop to store city vehicles and then became a saddlery shop and now soon to be a Subway. I bid the ripout and shotblasting and possible oil residue removal but offered the Contractor to do this part if they wanted and I think they will take that part onto themselves.

From observation the floor does'nt look level at all and only guessing that a token 1/2" pour in sections to smooth out the floor for Ditra then Tile. We may even find out that we won't need the SLC after the floor is Demo'd. I told the GC that getting it level probably wouldn't be feesible but instead to just get it flat. I think if I were to take my rotary laser to it I would find it to be 2"-3" out in less then 50'.

I don't know if subing out the SLC pour is feesible out in this Rural area as it is at least 2.5 hours from Wichita the only sizable city that could offer to do it. Instead I am opting to take on the pour with one helper and the two guys that GC'd the job in the first place. We all know each other and and have work well together for several years.

Anyway the GC cant even get in for a few weeks yet so we are still in the blind till demo. Should be a fun project.

Just want to let you all know, I really appreciate this Forum. Thanks JB! I have learned a lot more in these past few years reading about others experiences and be able to pick your brains.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Tracy, from past experience that glue down carpet is going to bear to get off. Shotblasting won't do it will need some sort of mechanical grinding, not hand held. BTW, how many SF are we talking about? You have identified the other problem of oil residue, scares the hell out of me. I would definitely let the GC prep the slab.

Take a look in the Liberry for large SLC pours if you haven't done one before it may help.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

i have seen this old hydraulic carpet puller that works like a winch and pulls old carpet out in big pieces
Old 03-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #10
Bellsfloors

Hi Jim and Kevin,

Removing the old carpets are the least of my worries. I have been doing that part for more years then I want to remember. I have a carpet stripper machine that doesn't have any problems getting it up. Sometime have to cut the carpet up in strips though. If the shot blaster doesn't do the trick on removing the glues I have the option of renting a concrete planer to grind off the surface.

I have three areas that will get tile. The old back shop area that I see has been painted and I hope was painted prior to vehicle parking. The old front area was more of an office setting and also the new addition that will have a new Slab.

My thinking is on the SLC is to pour in sections dividing it out at the existing control joints, expansion joints and possible cracks. Putting in a control joint in the SLC if you look at it that way. I plan to dam off the pours to control the flow and leveling of each section. My thoughts were to fill in the SLC control joints and cracks divisions with a Flexible mortar such as 1Flex by Tech and then cover entire area with Ditra and Soft grout the nearest grout joints in the Tile. As to the possible stair stepping of the SLC pours I could feather those areas out prior to Ditra. These are only preliminary ideas and are subject to change once the carpets are removed.

I'm still open to ideas though since the project is still a month away. Hope to see the condition of the existing floors in a few weeks.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:46 PM   #11
stullis
Flooring Installer

Wow that is expensive for LevelCure. Who you getting it from Tracy?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:16 PM   #12
Bellsfloors

Scott,

I priced the LevelCure out with a local Distributer Called General Distributers who carries the C-Cure Line of products. When I can get a day off I plan to do some more research on other products that may be availible. I know I can Get Tech products in Wichita also. I have not checked out the Lowdown store and the Orange Giant too much yet.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #13
jd77
Tile and Stone Setter

Tracy,

You should be able to get Tec TA-318 Smooth Start from Case in Wichita. The pricing should be in the range Todd gave.

Happy pouring

Alexis de Tocqueville
jd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:47 AM   #14
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

When comarison shopping be sure to factor in the yield per bag. Ardex k-15 supposedly gives 55 SF per bag, Mapei Novoplan 45 SF etc. There are different quantities of powder in each bag.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com