Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-12-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
Cooky

Redguard

Is Redguard good use as a membrane in a shower enclosure before tile?
A Home Depot salesman said it was "great stuff" just spread it on tape the corners and tile over. Sounds to easy, is it better or as good as the Kerdi? It sure is cheaper. Whats good or bad about this prod. Anyone used it before?
Thanks Cookie
Cooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #2
jfonta77

I hope so I have it in my steam shower. I am in the process of tiling right now. I have about 4-5 coats of the stuff on my walls. I think is will hold ok. Ti
Old 02-13-2006, 12:49 AM   #3
Madison Mike

Hey there Cookie. Is that your real name?? You don't really need Redguard if you put poly behind the cement board as a vapor barrier. That's even cheaper and easier. Just make sure to tape and mud the joints with the special tape and mortar, then tile with mortar. That said, if you omit the poly vapor barrier you can Redguard all over per directions, but guys usually don't use it that way. It's usually used for waterproofing smaller areas like a framed bench in the shower or a shampoo niche that's installed in the wall. Some guys use it in lieu of a shower pan liner on oddly angled showers. I usually plly it with a trowel. It's like troweling on pink pudding.

Mike
Madison, WI
Old 02-13-2006, 12:57 AM   #4
jdm

Mike --

Why the trowel over the roller? I'm about to use it for a tub surround and have been trying to decide which to use. Do you use a wet film gauge?

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:23 AM   #5
Madison Mike

JDM - I trowel on Redguard for 2 reasons: First, I hate paint rollers. If I had to cover a larger area than the few sqaure feet that I usually coat, then I'd consider a roller. Secondly, I'm used to using a trowel and can get the Redguard where I need it pretty well that way. If you're going to cover a whole tub surround, a roller is probably the way to go, I've just never had the need. And no, I don't use a wet film guage. I think it's a 3/16" V notch trowel that I use (whatever is recommended). I flat trowel it in first to fill in the pits in the CBU and then IMMEDIATELY flip it over and put on a coat with the notched side. Redguard starts to set up pretty quick and once it begins to skin over it tends to peel off if you go over it again. It's important to apply it in one area and then keep moving.

You're not using it if you already have a vapor barrier behind the CBU, right??

Mike
Madison, WI

A quick check of the next post shows that JFonta77's project is actually a steam shower instead of a regular shower surround, that's why he's got 4-5 coats on. How'd you apply it JFonta77??

Last edited by Madison Mike; 02-13-2006 at 04:26 AM. Reason: add info
Madison Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
jdm

Mike --

Thanks for the tips. And I have read enough posts here to know that more than one vapor barrier is not better.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:09 PM   #7
sleepy hollow

1) If I may, can anyone tell me why I really need to apply RG to my niches? See photos of a niche I just built this weekend.

I used #30 tar paper with roofing cement completely covering the box behind the paper. Then CBU is cut and fills in the sufaces inside the box (not completed in the photos). The entire tub/shower surround has 30# paper behind the CBU.

I'll use it if it really is necessary, but please help my understand why.

2) Madison Mike, I was curious as to why you use the notched side of the trowel to apply a second coat (?) of redguard? I must be missing something. What purpose do the notches serve? Are they to make more surface area for the tile to adhere better?

Thanks

Last edited by sleepy hollow; 02-13-2006 at 01:34 PM.
sleepy hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #8
Madison Mike

Sleepy - the notches meter the amount of product applied the the wall. A wet film guage would also tell me how much I put down, but why bother when the back of the Redguard bucket spec's a trowel size? There might be a little advantage to the ridges left after it dries, but I'm sure that's not why they give you the option of using the trowel. The other two options are paint brush and roller.

As for why you should Redguard your niche, I'll leave room for some of the more experienced guys to chime in, but basically it's because your niche is a weak point in the system. I'm sure you did a good job building it, but just the fact that it's a recess in the wall with CBU cuts in the corners and along the back wall make it a weak point. It's not part of the monolithic walls that taped and mudded CBU are. And if water finds a way in there somehow, that's when the damage starts.

So (in Donald Rumsfeld style) Do you HAVE to use Redguard? My Stars, no. This is a free country, land of the free, home of the brave. Would it be prudent to use the Redguard? Jiminy Crickets, yes!

Mike
Madison, WI
Old 02-14-2006, 07:22 AM   #9
sleepy hollow

Thanks for the response. After spending a year and a half finishing the basement, including breaking up the slab, adding a mile of high and low voltage wiring, replumbing the supply lines in the basement, insulating everywhere, adding a vent stack to the roof, and a thousand other detailed decisions and associated projects, I certainly do not want to, now at this late stage, risk one of the key finished products - a beautifully tiled bathroom.

Redguard it will be. It's not like it's hard to do or anything either.

Thanks for tipping me in the right direction, MM.
sleepy hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
jfonta77

Mike
Madison, WI

A quick check of the next post shows that JFonta77's project is actually a steam shower instead of a regular shower surround, that's why he's got 4-5 coats on. How'd you apply it JFonta77??[/quote]

I used a paint roller, one made for painting on brick.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com