Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
Bob H

Best Thinset for small tiles on shower floor?

Hi all,

I am getting ready to tile my shower floor after months of building the shower using, in large part, information from this site.

I was reading some other guys book (my wife bought for me before I discovered this site) and he recommends using epoxy thinset when laying the sheets of small tiles such as a shower floor. He then uses the same stuff to grout with. The idea is that the adhesive tends to ooze up through the gaps between the tiles and if you use the same stuff to grout with it essentially forms one cohesive mass under and around the tiles.

Is this recommended practice here?

I notice the local big box stores don't seem to carry epoxy thinset. The nearest tile store is about an hour away. If I am going to use epoxy what is a good brand?

Thanks!
Bob
Bob H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

what kind of tiles and i dont use epoxy on shower floors no breathing for the pan. use highly modified like customs megaflex or flexbond with right sized notch trowel, thinset is not grout they are different the big boys will be along soon
Old 02-12-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Bob H

Don't really know what kind of tile, some sheets of 2" tiles from Lowes that mu wife liked. The brand is American Olean.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:57 PM   #4
Bob H

Ok, I guess there are no other takers on the original message re using epoxy thinset with small tiles on the shower floor etc. I'm starting to think that Michael Byrne guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

I will assume then that I can use the same thinset (versabond) that I have used on the walls and I will just maybe mix it a little dry so it doesn't ooze up throught the tiles too much.

Now as to the grout I have been contemplating epoxy for the floor of the shower anyhow. There seem to be different opinions on the viability of epoxy on a shower floor re breathing. I just really don't want any staining issues. Any thoughts?

My wife was somewhat resistant to letting me tile the shower as she has had bad experiences in the past with the grout getting yucky.

Bob
Old 02-13-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Madison Mike

Bob - there's no need to use epoxy thinset on the shower floor. If that's what Michael Byrne said, well, I guess that's his opinion. He does a lot of stuff that doesn't work for me. Versabond should be OK for a shower floor. I usually use a different brand, but that's just a difference of taste. Make sure you flat trowel the mud bed first, then comb over it with the notched side of the trowel. Don't mix the thinset dry, just use the appropriate trowel size. You will get thinset oozing up through the joints. Not all of them but a lot of them. It's a small price to pay for ensuring even and total coverage below. Easiest way to clean the grout joints is to wait a few hours till the the mortar has set up a bit then scrape out the soft thinset with something. you can take a DAMP sponge and wipe off any soft stuff that remains on the top of the tile.

As for the epoxy grout, that's up to you. Again, there's no need for it, but if you're willing to shell out the dough and deal with the install, that's up to you. Usually, we just use regular modified grout and then seal it a few days after install.

Mike
Madison, WI
Old 02-13-2006, 04:11 PM   #6
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

i have been told no epoxy grout because of no breathing use tec and modify with admix.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

There are numerous thinsets out there with the modifiers already in them...much easier than measuring the admix and then the dry thinset. Why buy two things when one is all you need? There may be situations where it is called for, but I don't think this is one of them. The modifiers make the thinset stickier and somewhat stronger, regardless of whether it is built-in in the dry form or liquid that you add in place of the water.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:22 PM   #8
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

sorry i meant the grout with the admix sorry!
Old 02-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #9
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

Same story...many grouts already have it in it. Check the specs.

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com