Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-01-2006, 11:09 AM   #1
tallsharon

Anchoring Dishwasher to Granite Countertop

I had my kitchen completely remodeled by a general contractor - although i did use Lowe's for cabinets /and install, and another company for granite countertop.

My contractor, who is also a friend (i thought) of 30 + years couldn't (or wouldn't) anchor my dishwasher to the granite countertop and said he'd never seen cabinets that didn't leave him some wood to anchor it to. So he blew it off and told me to find someone else to do it.

The space where the dishwasher sits is pretty close to the cabinet wall on the left side, but is about 3" from the cabinet wall on the right. The granite sits approx 1" above the top of the dishwasher.

Everytime i open the dishwasher door the entire until falls forward because it isn't anchored.

I spent $30K remodeling the kitchen and this is really irritating me- any suggestions? Can i "glue" a strip of wood to the granite and then anchor it? OR can we just drill into the granite?

HELP!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
jdm

Sharon --

The granite fabricator usually creates a recess in the underside of the granite where the dishwasher attaches and epoxies a wood block into the recess so that the diswasher brackets can be installed. The granite folks want the dishwasher on site at template time so that they can measure where the brackets are. I would ask why this was not done.

You could epoxy wood blocks of the correct thickness to the underside of the granite and then screw into them, using short screws, of couise. You might want to paint the front edge of the blocks black to make them disappear into the space.

Also -- 1" is sort of a large space between the dishwasher brackets and the countertop. You might want to consider pullling the dishwasher and lowering the adjustable legs or wheels.

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #3
mrjetskey

he is your friend by giving you the right answer and not trying to screw it to the granite top,just glue a small wood blockon each side under the granite ,where the dishwasher mounts are,adjust the height screws on the front underside of dishwasher to fit brackets snug up against the wood blocks and use 1/2 length wood screws to anchor,there simple all fixed and ready to go!!!

The last of the big spenders,world traveler,international jetsetter,Oil wells drilled,wars started,Virgins converted,Governments overthrown,Revolutions started,governments run,EX_WIVES HOUSEBROKEN,(NO warranty on this last service due to low success rate)PS.That Petrol in your car probably came from a hole in the ground I drilled!! MARVIN DIY'selfer Extroidanare!!!
mrjetskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Rob, P.E.

You do not need to use the lip tabs at the top. They are actually an asthetic attachment. If you look in your dishwasher manual, you will see that the proper mounts to prevent tip-over are actually on the legs of the unit in the rear corners. They are to be lagged once level and positioned. Have never met a plumber or installer who finds any joy from installing those lags either. In this area, if they are not present on the dishwasher, you get a nice red sticker slapped to the window or permit board.

I agree with the others, all the stone and synthetic countertop fabricators in this area provide hardwood blocking for the tabs. Raise the unit's levelers or shim it to close that gap up.
Rob, P.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
jdm

I recently installed my parent's dishwasher, and since I read the installation manual and don't recall anything about lag screws, I rechecked the manual. Nothing about lag screws, but they warn that the machine will tip if the top tab are not screwed to the countertop. The machine is a mid-range Kenmore, BTW.

Could this be a regional code variation? I'm in NJ, Sharon is in CA but Rob is geographically undefined.

Go Rutgers!
Old 02-01-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

I know that stoves today require an anti-tip anchor, but have not seen it on dishwashers. If it is anchored at the front, it won't tip out.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
Paulfm

Most dishwashers today have a set of holes in the sides for mounting to the side of the cabinets on each side. We also do the glue route all the time. Cut a piece of like material and stain the match the cabinet, glue in place and screw the tabs.
Paulfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:48 PM   #8
Rob, P.E.

Hmmm. Can't argue after looking through install manuals for several models. Seems most of the plastic cabinet models don't mention the lags and do have the side mounting brackets indicated, whereas my stainless cabinet model (high iron water here) still cite the lags. No matter, in these parts you must install them or there will be no final approval of the plumbing. In all the models I've seen and installed, which admittedly haven't included any with side brackets, provisions for the lags are there in the frame, right below the door balance springs. Of course no lags ever provided since it's optional.
Rob, P.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #9
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Sharon, Welcome!

First things first. There should not be a 1" gap between the countertop and the dishwasher (period).

The dishwasher needs to be raised. If you have a high end dishwasher the adjustments may be made from the front of the machine. If you have a middle of the road unit, there may be wheels in the back that need to be repositioned, and adjustable feet in the front. The basic models usually have adjustable feet all the way around.

After the unit is at the proper height and leveled (or at least centered between the cabinets), it's time to mount.

Holes may be drilled into the bottom of the granite (we do it all the time) if necessary. If you have a unit that allows side mounting, secure a block of wood where none is present to allow this.

Review your manual thoroughly to understand what your options are. There are also epoxy bolt mounts available for a drilless installation.

If you must use the upper tabs on the granite, make sure you position the dishwasher in it's proper location and carefully mark where the tabs are. A standard masonry bit can be used to create a hole for a solid plastic anchor, or a lead shield.

It is also critical to wrap tape around your drill bit so you don't drill too deep, and pop out the other side.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
DUNBAR

Depending on what brand of dishwasher you own, those tabs you speak of break off @ the top and can be used in the slots on the sides of certain ones. I do know that Whirlpool has this option on the mid-range type units.

I personally will not drill granite as a plumber because I fear the worst with liability of not being familiar with the product on a regular basis.

The trick with the tabs on top was advice given by a installer of dishwashers for a big appliance company. Side mounting solved the problem with tip over problems. No way of knowing if all/most units have this capability.
DUNBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 08:38 AM   #11
doitright
Tile and Stone Contractor -- Moderator

Hi Dunbar, Welcome!

How about sharing a first name with us?

You mentioned you're a plumber? Come on over to the Pro Forum and introuduce yourself. We can always use more skilled tradesman around here.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #12
Stoneguy

Send a message via AIM to Stoneguy Send a message via Yahoo to Stoneguy
I know Kitchenaid brand also allow the tabs to go on the side. They make for a very easy (and secure) mount.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #13
tallsharon

Thumbs up Thanks so much

I just wanted to thank all of you for the excellent info!
I even ALMOST feel confident i can Do it myself, but fortunately i'll let my friends husband in on your tips, and he can do it for me! (isn't that what boys are for?)

Anyway, I am very grateful for your help and think this is a wonderful service to non-pros like me!

tallsharon
Old 02-02-2006, 02:13 PM   #14
ldogg53

FWIW I've got a Fisher and Paykel dishdrawer system and it had tabs for the top and sides... we screwed into the side cabinets and into the plywood under the granite...

Lucas
ldogg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #15
jdm

But remember, Fisher and Paykel is from Australia, so they have to design their machines to stay in place upside down.

Go Rutgers!

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com