Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile Tile Monthly Magazine

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
Trenton Kenagy

Exterior tile over porch and sidewalk

Hi. I am located in Kansas City, MO and am trying to figure out the best way to prepare a porch and sidewalk for tiling.

The project is 2 part:

Part 1:

Porch: The porch is old concrete that has been painted. The porch paint has worn (or flaked) almost completely off in the traffic areas, but remains in other areas. There are no cracks. What should I do to prepare this surface? Would the best method be to strip the old paint and some how sand or grind the remains? Or should I laminate the whole thing in Durock cement board attached with adhesive and cement screws and tile over that?

Part 2:

Sidewalk. The sidewalk is new (fully cured 18 months) and has never been painted or sealed. It has a brushed finish so I assume it will accept tile well. My question is when it comes to the expansion joints. The sidewalk is about 25' long and divided into 5 sections. Can I tile over those joints or will the grout crack with expansion/contraction at those joints? Can I use a crack supressant membrane at those joints to prevent this

And lastly, this tile is quartzite slate that the manufacturer rated for outdoor use in freeze/thaw climates. However, I know this still has to be sealed well. I would like something that does not add gloss or sheen to the tile. Do you have a recommendation of a sealer?

Thanks!
Trenton Kenagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
kevjob
Licensed Remodeling GC

do not tile over joints plan on soft joints with schluter products or caulk stonetech products. look in liberry for that application
Old 01-31-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

You'll need to get the paint off of the porch. Don't use pain removers, the residue may end up forcing stuff into the pores and messing with the slab. If it won't scrape off, you could try a pressure washer or rent a concrete scarcifier to remove it. Depending on the length, you may need expansion joints. You can do this with leaving a tile joint ungrouted and using a color matched caulk, or you can use some of the products from www.schluter.com or other companies. You would also want to honor (line up) expansion joints in the sidewalk with your tile in the same manner. You'll want the porch sloped away from the house if it isn't already.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
Trenton Kenagy

So would laminating the porch with Durock be a bad idea? I just have my doubts about the paint coming off, especially if I should not use a chemical stripper. The porch is about 8' x 12' and there are no control joints in it.

I had seen somewhere a thinset mortar that was made to use over old concrete where all the paint could not be removed, but I cant find it again. Has anyone heard of this?

And to clarify, on the sidewalk joints, I can caulk inside the joint then place a Schuter control joint profile above the joint and tile up to the joint profile?
Trenton Kenagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
bbcamp

Trent, it's simply not a good idea to trust your tile job to a layer of paint. You'll never know when the paint will decide it's had enough and let go. Sand blast, or use a scarifier to remove the paint, then set your tile.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com