Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books   Buy a TYW Shirt

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-20-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
skopper

Exclamation Applying grout in cold weather

I have been laying exterior slate tiles on a deck. The temperature here is mostly in the 40's (sometimes less). I used Ultrabond+Keraset which is good down to 40 degrees. I see that all the various brands of grout say not to use them below 50 degrees. What should I do? Can I go ahead and grout in the 40's and ignore the packaging? It's a covered 14 x 22 deck - no chance of rain getting on it since the open sides are currently wrapped in tarps.

Scott
skopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2006, 03:11 PM   #2
Chris the Rep

You may have to put some heat to the enclosure to bring the temperature up. If the underside of the deck is open to the outside air, it may take some time to get the floor surface warmed up. Air temperature is important, but not as critical as substrate temperatures. Hydration pretty much stops below 50 degrees, so you'll have to get the surface of the slate warm, and keep it warm at least a day or two after the grout is installed.

Chris
Chris the Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
skopper

A bit more info then - All except 4x22 is over an insulated garage. I can pretty easily heat the garage below, but given that there are 18" high insulated trusses bewteen the garage and deck, I'm not sure any heat will pass through. Is there not an additive that can be put in the grout for cold weather? How come the temperature is okay to be lower for the mortar?

Scott
skopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
chase2000gt

I just grouted 1000 feet in 0-10 degree weather. I brought the house up to tempurature with 2 propane heaters and left one of them running all night with a 10 gallon tank. I personally wouldnt dare grout that deck of your without some sort of heat for 12-24 hours after grouting.
chase2000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:26 PM   #5
JTG

Scott
I would keep it covered and wait for the temp to get above 50 and grout fast.
I find that blowing in warmth with a propane heater is not always a good idea as in does something to the air to make the grout dry funny. Can't tell you why that is but that has been my personal experience.
JTG

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:00 AM   #6
Mike2

Nearly all of the fuel carbon (99.5%) in propane is converted to COČ during the combustion process. High levels of COČ will cause a chemical reaction while thinset and grout is curing and among other things, make it soft. Like Jerry said, I'd wait for warmer weather.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Buy John's New Book!   Tile Your World Online Store   Contractors Direct Tile Tool Store   Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com