Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 12-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #31
johntrent

Dan - you are in Jax right? the local rep here is Jason Hedges - his ph# 904-885-0678 - you will need to contact him about upcoming dates for the class in SC. It is about a 7 hr ride from Jax but gas is all it will cost you. Nice accomodations and nice food/drinks.

I had used Kerdi & Ditra for a couple of years before attending and thought I knew all I needed to know. I was wrong. Not only did they teach me correct methods, they also are full of tips & tricks to make installations easier. Also - you get to see more of their product line and their solutions to some problems you come across from time to time.

Lastly, it is given at CTEF & you get a exposure to some of the science of tile testing as well as a Q&A session Dave Gobis - lotsa knowledge there.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #32
peregrined
peregrined

The fabulous Schluter

I am completely sold, too---been pushing Schluter for years, but around here most GCs don't seem to know much about it and are wary of it (and the extra cost). I'm wondering if it's going to help anything to take the course if there is not much support for the system in my area. I wonder if Schluter has any travelling marketing to get the word out to builders---the program looks terrific and I'm sure I'll take it, but would love it if I thought it would be more accepted here. Homeowners seem to have no problem with the concept---Lynda
peregrined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #33
peregrined
peregrined

I'll take the program if they'll have me, that is....
Lynda
Old 12-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #34
duneslider
Utah Tile Contractor

I got a call from a contractor. Don't know how he found me or who told him but he asked straight up if I had used schluters stuff and wanted me to come look at a job. He has heard good things about the schluter stuff but wants his mind set at ease.

I am sure he will be happy when I meet with him.

Take the class, you won't regret it.

EX Tile Contractor
Positive Tile and Stone
Salt Lake City, Utah
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:01 PM   #35
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Lynda,

I've never worked for contractors, so I can't really help. I think, though, if I was in that game it would pay me to foot the extra cost as a trade-off for the labor savings -- Ditra v. cement board. And if their only worry is the extra cost, that should handle it.

If you explain to folks that backer board is not structural, that the only thing it does is "uncouple" the tile layer from the subfloor, and that Schluter Ditra does the same thing only better, I don't see how they can resist.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:29 PM   #36
peregrined
peregrined

Ditra vs. Durock

Have to admit, I've only used the Ditra a few times---mostly use Schluter for showers and transitions--- but my eyes are opened: I had not really thought to use Ditra exclusively for floors and ditch the Durock. What a back saver. I believe the next Schluter course is the 9th of January--going to call to see if there is room for us. Schluter so rocks, Lynda

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase